ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OS Re-install Tips?

<< < (6/13) > >>

40hz:
I'm not real up on imaging or the genesis term.  So I have some research & reading to do too.-bob99 (April 02, 2009, 02:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry about the genesis term. Just me trying to sound educated.

From Websters:
    Latin, from Greek, from gignesthai to be born
--- End quote ---

I use genesis to denote the first or original image created after a fresh install as opposed to any later ones. A friend of mine refers to his as incept images.

BTW -My extremely educated girlfriend just rolled her eyes and said "Why don't you label them XP-Image#1 and XP-Image#2? and be done with it?" I'm tempted to reply that we could...but where's the fun in that?  On second thought...maybe I'd better not.

How do I backup my emails in Thunderbird other than MozBackup? That's the number one concern I'm having at the moment.
-siouxdax (April 02, 2009, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

There was a write-up recently over at gHacks.net about a no-install application called MailBrowser Backup which works with Thunderbird. More info and the download can be found here:

http://alancla.110mb.com/blog/mailbrowserbackup/

I've downloaded it and used it to backup TBird - but I haven't used it to restore anything yet. I'll have to test that when I get a minute. Backup was very quick, producing a 4Mb backup file.

It looks like a nice little app. So far, it only (allegedly) works with Chrome, Firefox, and Thunderbird, but the developer has plans to support additional browsers and e-mail clients later on.

Might be worth a try, either as a replacement for MozBackup - or a...er..backup to it? ;D

bob99:
From Websters:

Latin, from Greek, from gignesthai to be born
--- End quote ---

And don't forget the Genesis Project on Star Trek #?  :huh:
Thought it might be something along those lines.  An image with just the OS & Office = XP-Image#1, add some more = XP-Image#2, and so on.  Then you can revert back only as far as you want?

On second thought...maybe I'd better not.
--- End quote ---
Speaking from multiple experiences where I didn't learn... probably a good idea.  ;D

tomos:
Might be worth a try, either as a replacement for MozBackup - or a...er..backup to it? ;D
-40hz (April 02, 2009, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

why all the big fuss about thunderbird mail :-\
copy the profile folder, restore as in the link I gave above. seems the easiest and most secure to me ...

40hz:
nlite/vlite trimming is a really nice thing, also because it allows you to easily integrate drivers, hotfixes/servicepacks and create unattended setups - saves a lot of time.
-f0dder (April 02, 2009, 09:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thing is on PCs I get the OS is preinstalled and they don't provide an install CD/DVD.  HP doesn't seem to go to any pains to tell you how to get one either. vlite insists you copy the install DVD to the HD afaik. Seems kind of risky to reinstall the entire OS just to find out, like if I bought such a DVD, if the thing works before I make a system image for reinstall.  Have you run into any work-around for us underprivileged that don't get the DVD with the machines? :)

-MilesAhead (April 02, 2009, 01:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's doable, but a bit of a pain. A quick Google should point you to some how-to's. It's a fairly involved process you'll need to go through to make an XP install CD.

40hz:
-40hz (April 02, 2009, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

why all the big fuss about thunderbird mail :-\
copy the profile folder, restore as in the link I gave above. seems the easiest and most secure to me ...
-tomos (April 02, 2009, 04:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, it's not as easy as just hitting a button and getting everything into one nice neat compressed little file. And it's also not recommended by the Mozilla folks for a variety of reasons unless you need to do it that way, so....<*yikes*> 40hz just completely lost the point he was trying to make. ;D

It's been a long day...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version