ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OS Re-install Tips?

(1/13) > >>

siouxdax:
Hello friends:
Unfortunately I'm having to re-install Windows XP on my laptop, for a number of reasons. I've been preparing for this event by downloading all of the setup files for my programs, backing up all of my application data and documents, pics, music, etc. So I thought I would ask the all-knowing DC citizens if there are any tips or tricks that I should have in mind when doing this (somewhat) colossal task. I'm trying to make this as pain-free as possible.

tomos:
as a non expert who did this last year:

* Think about partitions. There's a couple of threads here on the topic
Should I get my new laptop with hard drive partitioned?
how I ended up doing the partioning my pc (i.e. what software I used):-
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=9232.msg73148#msg73148

* Think about nlite to reduce the windows baggage - it's recommended very casually here by people but I had to do a bunch of versions before I was successful with it - IIRC I had problems when I added a password to the install - couldnt access it then :( - also, I suspect no matter how you install xp there's going to be teething problems, I certainly had a bunch ...
I have a few nlite links from that time if you're going that road

siouxdax:
Think about partitions.
-tomos (April 02, 2009, 06:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Why would I want to partition my hard drive? It's only 120GB. Advantages?

4wd:
Think about partitions.
-tomos (April 02, 2009, 06:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Why would I want to partition my hard drive? It's only 120GB. Advantages?
-siouxdax (April 02, 2009, 06:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

What matters the size of the drive?
My Acer TravelMate has a 40GB HDD and it's partitioned 20/20 by default.

My OS partition is never bigger than 20GB and is usually only 16GB.

For one thing you can at least keep your data on a different partition to the OS which means that the next time you install the OS your less likely to write over your data because you forgot to back it up.

For another, I use only portable applications wherever possible, by putting these on the 2nd partition I don't have to copy them back after a OS reinstall - they run perfectly well from the 2nd partition.
All my games are installed on the 2nd partition because they rarely need a full re-installation after the OS has been re-installed.

The only things that reside on my OS partition is the OS and those programs that require a normal installation.  Everything else is ready to run without requiring re-installation.

tomos:
 it's also relatively easy to move My Documents onto the second partition - some do, some dont - but it would save hassle for the next reinstall :D
or
better still, if you use imaging software (a la Acronis True Image etc.) to back up your fresh install you can restore the OS partition in the future much easier than a fresh install (and if my docs + data are on second partition you dont have to worry about them)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version