ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firewall+Proxy?

<< < (2/2)

40hz:
I'm with you on that 100%. That's also why I love DonationCoder. People here talk about what they've done rather than just what they've read or heard about.

FWIW: I do cut&paste from websites, but I do that primarily to save typing feature lists, or rewriting already well-written information provided by the authors. Good software should speak for itself. (And to be honest, I'm also a little too lazy to rewrite something when I really don't need to. Must come from my early days in graphic design where I learned this mantra: Never draw what you can trace; never trace what you can scan; never scan what you can cut out and paste down! )

I also tend to include screenshots because I'm a big advocate of effective interface design. There are so many terrific applications out there that are marred (and in some cases crippled) due to poor interfaces. One of the first things I look at is the design of the interface. If I don't like the way something looks, I usually don't bother with it. To my way of thinking, if you have a great application and don't want to be bothered including a well-thought out GUI, then make it a command-line application. 'Powerful but Ugly' is what the command line is all about anyway.

Just my tuppence anyway! :two:

brahman:
Sorry guys, this post was for another thread and somehow ended up here. I therefore deleted and reposted.

Regards,

Brahman

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

Interesting to see Untangle mentioned.  After a recommendation I was considering whether it might serve as a good software gateway traffic cop for an office network.  Including things like implementing IP block lists to help prevent doofus-cruising (things that could lead to trouble, even stuff like sports sites with a gambling sub-tone).  Maybe do more like a software pseudo-firewall-help. 

Note: we actually have an "InstaGate" (Esoft) appliance, but we really do not use all the complex VPN-FTP and this-and-that stuff there, and are deciding whether it really has a purpose.  (It came in as a bundle when we upgraded the iSeries mini.) So I am involved in this decision .. work more with the InstaGate ? Look at things like Untangle or other software helps ? Use both or neither.  .. disclaimer note.  I have not yet done the obvious .. read the Untangle forums.

Any thoughts on how Untangle might fit into a light, friendly but a bit too-free office environment -- please share away.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version