topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firewall+Proxy?  (Read 5696 times)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firewall+Proxy?
« on: March 31, 2009, 10:08 PM »
Hi

I am looking for somewhat light firewall+proxy solution that I can install on my laptop. But I would like to use ti as proxy to so all the oher computers will go online through this laptop. I can use windows internet sharing but the problem is that that thing resets the ip adress which I hate. I like to use custom ip adresses for my computers. At the moment I have privoxy running on that laptop but I am looking for more robust-secure firewall+proxy solution together.

thanks

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firewall+Proxy?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 09:56 AM »
It may be overkill for what you're looking for, but take a look at Untangle over at:
http://www.untangle.com/Product-Overview

It comes in two versions. One is a dedicated server. The other is called the Windows version which can be installed on any PC in your network. This version provides the same capabilities, but still allows you to use the host PC as an ordinary workstation. To quote the website: "It’s the same great Untangle Gateway… but without the gateway!"

Download link:
http://www.untangle....ngle-Windows-Version

A technical write-up of how re-router works can be found here:
http://www.untangle....Re-router-Technology

Re-Router™ Technology
Network Protection from any Windows Machine

Re-Router™ Technology is a breakthrough from Untangle that provides network-wide protection from any Windows XP desktop.  Running transparently in the background without sacrificing any desktop functionality (word processing, spreadsheets, web browsing, etc.), Re-Router™ Technology enables users to:

* Provide network gateway protection without buying new hardware
    * Protect the entire network from just 1 PC (Unlike Norton or McAfee)
    * Get started in minutes… No network reconfiguration, re-cabling or extra NICs to install
    * Leverage the best open source networking apps on the familiar Windows platform

These days, the web is a dangerous place, but buying an expensive security appliance just isn’t an option for everyone. Re-Router™ Technology finally enables organizations with less than 25 PCs to protect their whole network, from online threats like spam, spyware, viruses, phishing and inappropriate websites, right from one Windows XP desktop.  It’s the same great Untangle Gateway… but without the gateway!

How it works

Re-Router™ Technology leverages virtualization and layer 2 protocols to dynamically reconfigure the network so that all in/outbound traffic flows through the Untangle “server” before reaching its intended destination.   The physical network gateway thinks the Untangle “server” is each of the desktops and the desktops think it’s the gateway.  There’s no need to physically re-cable the network and if the host PC ever shuts down, Re-Router™ Technology elegantly restores the network’s original configurations without any downtime.  Dynamic network reconfiguration sounds geeky and complex (and under the hood it really is) but to the user, it's 100% automatic and seamless.  Some might call it Magic!

I've deployed both versions. It's a very effective system. Sexy interface too!  ;D
And since it's GNU open-source, it's free to download and use.

From the FAQ:
What's Free?

About 95% of Untangle’s software is free under the GNU General Public License v2 (GPL v2). In a nutshell that means it's free to use, modify and even distribute. Specifically all the software in the Untangle Server, including applications like Web Filtering, Spam Blocking, Spyware and Virus Blocking, and VPN are free.  You can check out the list on our Products Overview Page.

There are some commercial add-ons, and a paid support option available for purchase, but you won't need them.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with Untangle Inc. nor do I have any financial interests in their product. I'm just a very satisfied user. 8)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 10:00 AM »
40hz have you tried it yourself?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 10:43 AM »
40hz have you tried it yourself?

well...I did say satisfied user. ;)

I'm more familiar with the server version, but I set the PC version up for my sister at her house. She has four machines and two kids. So far, they haven't had any complaints. As the matter of a fact, I don't think anyone (other than the family geek) even knows it's there.

Got the server version running in my home office. I'm going through it now - so it looks like it works. ;D

---

PS. If I don't have personal experience with anything I mention in my posts, I'll always say so.It bugs me when people recommend things they haven't experienced for themselves. Looks like you & me feel the same way about that.  ;D

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:47 AM by 40hz »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 10:57 AM »
40hz, I indeed have distaste for "google is your friend" crowd. The reason I come here and ask is to find out people`s active experiences with certain applications. Everytime someone goes on to google type and paste some results under topics leaves me in confusion about their childish behaviours. I wonder if they really think that searching words on google requires any special granted skills they might carry. I do not have any problem with suggestions they might have heard or seen before but once in a while some people suggest things that come out of a simple web search.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 11:21 AM »
I'm with you on that 100%. That's also why I love DonationCoder. People here talk about what they've done rather than just what they've read or heard about.

FWIW: I do cut&paste from websites, but I do that primarily to save typing feature lists, or rewriting already well-written information provided by the authors. Good software should speak for itself. (And to be honest, I'm also a little too lazy to rewrite something when I really don't need to. Must come from my early days in graphic design where I learned this mantra: Never draw what you can trace; never trace what you can scan; never scan what you can cut out and paste down! )

I also tend to include screenshots because I'm a big advocate of effective interface design. There are so many terrific applications out there that are marred (and in some cases crippled) due to poor interfaces. One of the first things I look at is the design of the interface. If I don't like the way something looks, I usually don't bother with it. To my way of thinking, if you have a great application and don't want to be bothered including a well-thought out GUI, then make it a command-line application. 'Powerful but Ugly' is what the command line is all about anyway.

Just my tuppence anyway! :two:

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 11:07 PM by 40hz »

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 03:09 PM »
Sorry guys, this post was for another thread and somehow ended up here. I therefore deleted and reposted.

Regards,

Brahman
Regards, Brahman
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 09:29 AM by brahman »

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Untangling office network difficulties
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 07:55 PM »
Hi Folks,

Interesting to see Untangle mentioned.  After a recommendation I was considering whether it might serve as a good software gateway traffic cop for an office network.  Including things like implementing IP block lists to help prevent doofus-cruising (things that could lead to trouble, even stuff like sports sites with a gambling sub-tone).  Maybe do more like a software pseudo-firewall-help. 

Note: we actually have an "InstaGate" (Esoft) appliance, but we really do not use all the complex VPN-FTP and this-and-that stuff there, and are deciding whether it really has a purpose.  (It came in as a bundle when we upgraded the iSeries mini.) So I am involved in this decision .. work more with the InstaGate ? Look at things like Untangle or other software helps ? Use both or neither.  .. disclaimer note.  I have not yet done the obvious .. read the Untangle forums.

Any thoughts on how Untangle might fit into a light, friendly but a bit too-free office environment -- please share away.

Shalom,
Steven Avery
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 07:58 PM by Steven Avery »