ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2009

The Getting Organized Experiment of 2009 - Preliminary Planning

<< < (3/8) > >>

tomos:
my favourite idea from the other thread is still:

each individual would pick a "theme" or two - maybe a problem point or something they want to improve. Or they could even choose to try out a system - e.g. Forsters new Autofocus system. Whatever.
They start a thread about it where they announce their plans and discuss. Others can chip in with comments, help, ideas and the thread is used to record progress :) (or lack of same :().

It's practical, requires minimum organisation, doesnt even require theory lol
How many people would be willing to commit themselves to doing something like this?

I think it's a good idea to focus on specifics, but it should be up to each participant which specifics that should be. For instance, email or my physical desktop are pretty much the only things that I don't consider a mess... ok, a bit of an overstatement, but you get the idea ;)

A better idea, IMHO, would be for each participant to publicly list which specifics he/she would like to focus on and maybe make regular posts about the progress. How often? I don't know, but let's say an update every week or so. Obviously you're not responsible for this to anyone but yourself, but I imagine that for me at least, it would be an extra incentive to get things done if I'll have reveal my progress. It's not too cool seeing everyone else making huge strides towards getting organized if I still can't get anything done. This way, we can also give each other tips and ideas along the way.

:feedback:
-TucknDar (October 10, 2008, 01:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
my list (themes) would be something along these lines
clearing backlog - mostly stuff in boxes ;)
à la my post above - expectation/sense of obligation -> procrastination (avoiding/reacting because of pressure from self or others)
Again, I cant remember the third ... (organisation comes to mind as another theme!)

And because it would be individual projects it really doesnt matter how many or how few get involved - obviously nicer to have a bunch of people involved though
-tomos (November 18, 2008, 03:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

nudone:
whatever happens. i think Paul Keith should be leading it. no one else on the forum has shown as much interest in the GOE (at least, not recently).

but, Paul, if you do lead it, you must do shorter posts - maybe more of them, just shorter. the long ones even frighten me away and i'm used to such things.

also, you could well be the perfect choice. you say you are disorganised - you should be the one that solves the riddle to that. show us the way. i'm waiting for you to start the march.

Paul Keith:
Thanks nudone but even if I do shorter posts, I need someone who can communicate it for me. If I felt I could portray a post shorter, I would have done so already. Especially in this case where length is less of a problem but trying to make my ideas sound less gimmicky is, especially when I don't have the "guru" excuse.

Also SKesselman and tomos have a point, sometimes unstructured works. My criticism of it though is that the concept is turning a month only project into a productivity forum and that can confuse and stress people posting because no one knows if it's just a productivity forum or a monthly exercise so even their trial of systems might feel like another make it a habit in 30 days or your money back.

At best, it can reinvigorate interest in programming productivity apps but that's really more like the Making Productivity Toys experiment.

tomos:
My criticism of it though is that the concept is turning a month only project into a productivity forum and that can confuse and stress people posting because no one knows if it's just a productivity forum or a monthly exercise so even their trial of systems might feel like another make it a habit in 30 days or your money back.
-Paul Keith (April 02, 2009, 03:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

well let's make it an open-ended ongoing thing/forum - I mean it might not last anyway but why limit it?

how about we look at things this way:
if you have a criticism, you/we look for a simple solution -> GOE 2009

I dont really have time (or interest?) in theoretical or in whether things were done good or bad, then or now - I realise straight away that that's a weakness .... but one can get bogged down in all that stuff just as much as any other (GOE, etc.) stuff

currently I'm thinking: I'm going to try and do my own personal GOE 2009 - I may or may not post here
[and I make no commitments as to when I'll begin it (lol)]

How about this
-
what would YOU [anyone] want from a "Getting Organised Experiment" ??
(Just in case: saying 'getting organised' doesnt qualify as a good enough answer)

mouser:
Speaking purely for myself, i would be interested in refining the hybrid system that i've cobbled together, and expanding it to use additional processes.
Or to put it differently, i'm interested in the practical aspect of trying to hammer out some habits and techniques i can add to my repertoire.. and perhaps even try to more formalize my own kind of system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version