ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2009

The Getting Organized Experiment of 2009 - Preliminary Planning

<< < (6/8) > >>

Paul Keith:
Paul,
I take your point about criticism, but I'll ask:
does being critical rule out being encouraging? Criticism, if delivered fairly, can obviously be something helpful - as you say if Allen was more specific in his criticism we would now know a bit more about the topic. I'm not trying to force you into an encouraging role !! just throwing it out there

I dont think we're trying to change the world of productivity or whatever it's called. You keep focusing on that world and it's problems. Again, I'm not saying all that stuff isnt important - I'm just saying it's only one aspect.

I'm curious - what is it you would want from a GOE ?
I mean - not what you dont want !
(apologies if you've said that somewhere already & I've missed it - just redirect me!)
-tomos (April 03, 2009, 03:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, this was my answer to your question: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=17712.msg158113#msg158113

I get that you feel that it's only one aspect but it's a huge under-represented aspect that has allowed people to be disappointed, disorganized further and messed up.

I also feel Allen being more specific won't help. Why? Because he wasn't interested in tools in the first place as much as he was on GTD. It's like saying Forster was helpful when he compared AutoFocus to a Rolls Royce of to-do lists when accused of the system being just a to do list.

Why? Because both cases fall under the case where people didn't really care enough about that aspect until their systems led them to that aspect where they had to clarify it.

I also don't know what you meant by encouragement. It seems to me the reverse has actually happened and that people are more likely to encourage and rule out criticism and as far as the impressions I've gathered, it has only helped out those who managed to become productive and fueled the anger or apathy of those who don't while the unproductive people are left to fend of for themselves on what a system should truly feel like.

tomos:
I also don't know what you meant by encouragement.
-Paul Keith (April 03, 2009, 04:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
what I said:
criticism doesnt rule out encouragement (I only said it because you were saying something along the lines that you didnt do encouragement but did do criticism)
And naturally: encouragement doesnt rule out criticism ...

Paul Keith:
I also don't know what you meant by encouragement.
-Paul Keith (April 03, 2009, 04:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
what I said:
criticism doesnt rule out encouragement (I only said it because you were saying something along the lines that you didnt do encouragement but did do criticism)
And naturally: encouragement doesnt rule out criticism ...
-tomos (April 03, 2009, 05:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm...that could be a failure of communication on my part. I don't recall saying anything like that. At least even if I do, I've never felt encouragement to be something I'm against and won't do.

tomos:
Hmm...that could be a failure of communication on my part. I don't recall saying anything like that. At least even if I do, I've never felt encouragement to be something I'm against and won't do.
-Paul Keith (April 03, 2009, 06:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
re-read your reply to mouser's post
If we do go with this.. then it may make sense to try to get one person willing to volunteer to read all of the threads and post occasional summaries of people's different methods, and encourage everyone participating, etc.
-mouser (April 02, 2009, 06:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

you could re-read my last couple of posts again as well in connection with your "criticism = insulting" interpretation - I really dont see where you got that one (I'm looking forward to the D.Allen video though, but will have to wait till later)

Paul Keith:
tomos, I did. I still don't get it. As for how I interpreted it. It started with SKesselman talking about heavy criticism.

Any particular reason to be heavily critical? Don't you think you might scare some potential participants away?
-SKesselman (April 02, 2009, 08:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Then your own post:

does being critical rule out being encouraging?
--- End quote ---

then...

I only said it because you were saying something along the lines that you didnt do encouragement but did do criticism
--- End quote ---

and then you telling me to reread my post...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version