ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2009

The Getting Organized Experiment of 2009 - Preliminary Planning

(1/8) > >>

mouser:
Ok I've set up the GOE 2009 section.

Let's get a volunteer or two who is willing to run this year's "experiment" and help guide us in a journey of productivity improvements.

Previous Years:

* 2006: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?board=196.0
* 2007: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?board=230.0

40hz:
'scuze me for sounding dumb but how exactly does this experiment work. :-[

techidave:
What happened to 2008?   :D

Paul Keith:
'scuze me for sounding dumb but how exactly does this experiment work. :-[
-40hz (March 31, 2009, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Same question here.

Edit: Also if it's not too imposing of them, I'd like to vote app and nudone's name in. I think many sites often lack that sort of anti-productivity goal as part of the community and it often becomes an issue on what the latest video or the latest program is about. I think as a whole the productivity movement "died" and killed it's own tale after the few early Gina Trapani and Merlin Mann articles. After that it became hijacked and taken for granted. Too much GTD, too much to-do lists and project management apps, too much business-centric perspective...

I'd rather risk destroying this experiment through people like them criticizing everything than have it become just another "advertise our product" and "if someone criticizes it, they don't understand" like some artsy fartsy group. I don't think they even have to take time out of their hands. I just feel they are the type of people who's willing to point out that the Emperor has no New Clothes and their past trauma and troubles are key to progressing productivity because they're the ones who don't just settle for dissing any system/program or trick. Right now there's almost none of that (or at least none that is really well known) in the blogosphere doing that and it's becoming more and more the reverse.

For example, Lifehacker just again recently wasted an article on the Top 5 Mindmapping tools even though there are other Mapping tools already but I suspect the words "Mindmap" is just more sales friendly. Hell, is it any surprise that Freemind wins it again?

http://lifehacker.com/5191381/hive-five-winner-for-best-mind-mapping-software-freemind

As the commentors even pointed out here, there's not even a mention of PersonalBrain and while I'm not using that program, as a person who's lurked lifehacker topics before, that article is extremely sloppy. They could have easily made that article in the past. (I even thought they made that article in the past already.)

http://lifehacker.com/5188833/hive-five-five-best-mind-mapping-applications

mouser:
Let me take a shot at this.

The "Getting Organized Experiment" was basically an umbrella term to describe a month-long group exercise in trying to improve our individual productivity.

That is.. A bunch of us who were interested in becoming more efficient and more productive got together with the idea that there would be some benefit from focusing on efficiency at the same time, to get some benefit from group support, encouragement, camaraderie.

I don't think there are any other real "rules" to the experiment.  The specifics can change depending on who is leading it and what the participants want.

In 2006 we had a very structured scheduled tour of a bunch of formal productivity "systems".  Some of us got some real benefits from that, others nearly had mental breakdowns.

2007 was much less of a scheduled production, and more of a focus on productivity software, and creating new utilities, and talking about what worked for us since the last year.

2008.. nothing happened.

So what form would a new GOE take?

That's up to those who want to participate, and as importantly, up to any 1 or 2 people who want to sort of spearhead and organize it..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version