topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: When was your last BSOD? I'm betting it was a long time ago  (Read 25598 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: When was your last BSOD? I'm betting it was a long time ago
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 04:49 AM »
I think it was a BSOD - full screen.  Wasn't your average message box, anyway.

TheQwerty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 06:24 AM »
The only BSOD I've seen in the last two years occurred when trying to resume from hibernation - most recently last week, and probably once or twice a quarter.  (Always ks.sys...)

To be fair that machine is over eight years old now and I suspect it takes issue with the incredibly crappy Belkin KVM I'm using.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 06:50 AM »
And when it comes to servers - if you know what you are doing there is no disadvantage to windows. If I consider the uptime for servers in my last, say, 8 years, BSD and windows actually win over linux

I'm in complete agreement.

Since the 2k release, the only time any Winserver I'm responsible for has gone down is when I've shut it down myself for planned maintenance. Or if I rebooted it after a software upgrade that required it. They're very resilient systems.

Same for the BSD servers. There aren't enough superlatives to describe the stability of these boxes.

Can't comment on Linux servers since I only have two test systems (Centos and a Debian-based homemade distro) running. They're purely for self-educational purposes. I have yet to deploy a Linux server in a production environment.

These poor little experimental servers occasionally do some pretty weird things. But that's because me and my cohorts are constantly doing weird things to them. ;D

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 09:29 AM by 40hz »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 09:19 AM »
The only BSOD I've seen in the last two years occurred when trying to resume from hibernation - most recently last week, and probably once or twice a quarter.  (Always ks.sys...)
Iirc, ks.sys is related to kernel streaming sound. You wouldn't happen to have a Creative soundcard in that machine?
- carpe noctem

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2009, 11:46 AM »
My coworkers XP box refuses to upgrade to SP2 or SP3. Every time I've tried to fix it (don't worry, I've done EVERYTHING msdn tells me to do and it won't budge) it blue screens on reboot (causing instant cardiac arrest in yours truly).

Sure, that's not everyday run-of-the-mill OMG BSOD WTF?!?! but...

TheQwerty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 11:59 AM »
Iirc, ks.sys is related to kernel streaming sound. You wouldn't happen to have a Creative soundcard in that machine?
To be honest I don't recall.  It started with a Turtle Beach and I believe that's what is still in it, but I may have forgotten swapping it out for a Creative.   :-[

Between it happening so infrequently and my inability to reproduce it reliably, I've never really bothered to investigate the cause.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 12:14 PM »
About one year ago or something. Only had two BSODs with this machine, both when running ping calling Google in the background (at the time I had several connection problems due to a faulty thingie outside the house), and one of them involved FARR. I suspect the use of the "Break" key to stop pinging might explain that particular BSOD. The fact that mouser is a lousy programmer doesn't help at all ;)

On my old 9x machine, I got a BSOD every time I inserted a CD-ROM into the drive, and let autorun do its job. So I deactivated the function, and the number of BSODs was dramatically reduced.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 12:19 PM »
In February of 2008 when I first received my new computer.  FedEx around here is notorious for their handling of packages, and every time I have a piece of electronics delivered to me with parts like a hard drive, it comes damaged.  I have had to replace every hard drive they have delivered.  Thankfully, all free.  I just received a Netbook and Inspiron for my daughter 2 weeks ago, I replaced the hard drives in both on Monday.  BTW, I am running Vista on all machines except the Netbook, and NEVER have had a problem other than failed hardware due to FedEx.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2009, 01:58 PM »
That sounds plain weird - a crashing usermode program causing a BSOD? Never had that happen O_o
It's weird, I don't know how either, but it happened. And it has happened before with msvc, though I don't remember if it actually went as far as a bsod last time, but this time it did.
The bsod came 2 seconds or so after the regular segfault msgbox, so there is a small chance it's unrelated, who the heck knows...

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2009, 06:22 PM »
Hi Folks,

My XP puters have been very stable, last BSOD probably years ago, maybe one or two of minor ones I forget months ago.  As I said in the CleanMem thread, I could get a resource slowdown and lockup on occasion (which I consider different than  BSOD even if it is mandatory reboot, because it is not from system items slashing one another to smithareens) -- and not since some changes and none planned for the future.

Shalom,
Steven

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2009, 07:35 PM »
The first BSOD I have had on XP in almost 3 years occurred yesterday while applying SP3 to an XP machine running an AMD processor. I was aware of the fix, but had forgotten about it since all of MY MACHINES are intel based. Prior to that, I have had no BSOD's on either XP or Vista (during my two years with vista). Bravo Microsoft!

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2009, 08:51 AM »
I've actually had two incidents not to long ago. One was when I tried to install sandboxie on xp x64. Sandboxie and microsofts stupid "patchguard" don't play nice together.

(The second one isn't actually a BSOD, but I felt like pointing it out anyways.)
The second one was when I was trying to install ubuntu on my computer. Ubuntu doesn't like my computer's hardware (or atleast the graphics card, the stupid xserver kept crashing)
[Insert really cool signature here]

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2009, 08:53 AM »
PatchGuard isn't stupid, but it's a shame that Microsoft doesn't allow some (controlled!) hooks for it. Your BSOD is because of sandboxie, and thus not something to blame Windows for :)
- carpe noctem

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2009, 09:23 AM »
well I'm not blaming windows exactly. I just called patchguard stupid because it won't let me install sandboxie.
[Insert really cool signature here]

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2009, 07:12 AM »
Hi Folks,

I actually realized, I have a classic BSOD on a system that was sitting for a year and now I am refiring up.  It is sporadic, can happen after some hours of usage.

driver_irql_not_less_or_equal is the most common message and
usbehci.sys was the driver when it just happenned
There may be some variation, but I think that is the usual message.

Turns out this is rather common and I remember when I searched for this I found about 5-10 totally different discussions and ideas, with little solid.  This is on a PowerSpec that had been well-behaved for a couple years before this happened.  I did some searching this AM and all sorts of ideas came up.

So I may do the Windows Update route to SP3, delete/rename the driver and replace (after searching for another copy),  take out the USB backup when not in use, check the driver updates,  add memory if I have it handy (which I think I planned anyway), and do a few other things .. and then format and reinstall XP if nothing works (I may I have a disk, and PowerSpec gives reasonable overview discussion support even if warranty is finito in my experience).  It is a nice little system otherwise. 

Hmm.. if I do a OS (XP) reinstall (which I have done on various systems maybe twice) -- it would be nice to have the procedures in order ahead of time.  Things like saving the Sysinfo and serial#, having a Bart-PE type of disk, give Microsoft a call about verification issues and read the articles about saving that, driver backups, checking ahead for the XP disk (if not, use another ?).  Of course this varies a lot between systems (how they vary with their CDs and their hidden partitions and this and that).  Wonder if we have a thread on that stuff.

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 07:53 AM by Steven Avery »

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2009, 08:18 AM »
I like to think I have a stable system even though it BSOD's on me once in a while.

There's one that occurs at boot - something to do for a "the system encountering a wait or yield procedure" (if memory serves right), it's been narrowed down to Acronis and it's something I can live with since I reboot very infrequently and never lose data to it. I just restart and wait for the console text to go blood red... a good sign, since it invariable bypasses the BSOD then.

I've got them on every occasion I've tried the DC traffic analysis utility - something to do with the winpcap(?) driver, not blaming the DC utility. :P

And I got me last one when I tried one of the ramdrive apps recommended in the "make FF load faster" thread.

The rare ones that occur when I haven't installed anything new are almost always due to overheating. These I hate, coz it means I have to get off my ass and disconnect everything, lug the PC to an open space and go to work on it with a blower, lug it back, reconnect... ugh! It's so much simpler just clicking uninstall.  :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 08:20 AM by nosh »