ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

When was your last BSOD? I'm betting it was a long time ago

<< < (5/9) > >>

f0dder:
That sounds plain weird - a crashing usermode program causing a BSOD? Never had that happen O_o
--- End quote ---
jalbum, the excellent java based image gallery tool can reliably blue screen and reboot my pc.  never figured out why or how.
-mouser (April 01, 2009, 01:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting - I didn't think the JVM used any driver components, so it really shouldn't be able to do that :huh:

The only usermode crashes I've seen since Win9x have been exploits (and the only one I can remember was something that exploited a GDI "stuff mapped in usermode that really shouldn't be but we did it this way for performance" kinda thing).

mouser:
i should say the windows xp, both 32 and 64, has been extreeeeeeemely stable and well behaved for me.
(which is why the jalbum bsod is all the more unsual).

iphigenie:
I have had a BSOD a few months ago, and it was - as it nearly always is - linked to a hardware/driver issue. Easily fixed

Your average windows is just as stable as your average linux, the one thing that makes it unstable is that there are a lot more crazy apps people can install and over-install until it gets unstable.

And when it comes to servers - if you know what you are doing there is no disadvantage to windows. If I consider the uptime for servers in my last, say, 8 years, BSD and windows actually win over linux

rjbull:
A few weeks ago, trying to run EmEditor portable from a USB, saved a simple macro, clicked EmEditor's macro button and <<POW>>.  XP said a hardware problem; could be, I don't know.

f0dder:
A few weeks ago, trying to run EmEditor portable from a USB, saved a simple macro, clicked EmEditor's macro button and <<POW>>.  XP said a hardware problem; could be, I don't know.
-rjbull (April 01, 2009, 04:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
Was it a BSOD, though, or a critical error messagebox about delay-write error? There's a big difference between the two.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version