ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

When was your last BSOD? I'm betting it was a long time ago

<< < (6/9) > >>

rjbull:
I think it was a BSOD - full screen.  Wasn't your average message box, anyway.

TheQwerty:
The only BSOD I've seen in the last two years occurred when trying to resume from hibernation - most recently last week, and probably once or twice a quarter.  (Always ks.sys...)

To be fair that machine is over eight years old now and I suspect it takes issue with the incredibly crappy Belkin KVM I'm using.

40hz:
And when it comes to servers - if you know what you are doing there is no disadvantage to windows. If I consider the uptime for servers in my last, say, 8 years, BSD and windows actually win over linux
-iphigenie (April 01, 2009, 04:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm in complete agreement.

Since the 2k release, the only time any Winserver I'm responsible for has gone down is when I've shut it down myself for planned maintenance. Or if I rebooted it after a software upgrade that required it. They're very resilient systems.

Same for the BSD servers. There aren't enough superlatives to describe the stability of these boxes.

Can't comment on Linux servers since I only have two test systems (Centos and a Debian-based homemade distro) running. They're purely for self-educational purposes. I have yet to deploy a Linux server in a production environment.

These poor little experimental servers occasionally do some pretty weird things. But that's because me and my cohorts are constantly doing weird things to them. ;D

f0dder:
The only BSOD I've seen in the last two years occurred when trying to resume from hibernation - most recently last week, and probably once or twice a quarter.  (Always ks.sys...)-TheQwerty (April 01, 2009, 06:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Iirc, ks.sys is related to kernel streaming sound. You wouldn't happen to have a Creative soundcard in that machine?

Edvard:
My coworkers XP box refuses to upgrade to SP2 or SP3. Every time I've tried to fix it (don't worry, I've done EVERYTHING msdn tells me to do and it won't budge) it blue screens on reboot (causing instant cardiac arrest in yours truly).

Sure, that's not everyday run-of-the-mill OMG BSOD WTF?!?! but...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version