ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Unicode-based texter program

(1/3) > >>

dcsev:
Title half-assedly says it all. ;D

I'm sure some of you already know Lifehacker Texter

Lets you define text substitution hotstrings that, when triggered, will replace hotstring with a larger piece of text. By entering your most commonly-typed snippets of text into Texter, you can save countless keystrokes in the course of the day.
--- End quote ---

The program works great (albeit slightly buggy). 

WHAT I WANT
Basically, Texter unicode compatible.

WHY
I'm learning Mandarin Chinese and typing Pinyin markers is a major PITA.

Texter has the ability to greatly simplify my task by replicating this online flash-based Pinyin Word Processor as I'm typing my document!

There are a shitload of people on the net who want to do something like this, but I just can't find an alternative. :(

I know about Accents 1.0 by donation coder, but it isn't unicode aware (I'm using it right now, I know) and also the functionality I want is closer to Texter.

I want to type the text in bold, which will convert it to the text on the right, respectively (see bottom).  Accents will not do this, but Texter will. Hell, texter is even lightweight AND portable.  Dammit, if only it was unicode aware. I know the Texter Source Code was released to the public.

a1  ā 
a2  á
a3  ǎ
a4  à

housetier:
vim with :abbr can do that.

vim has very good support for unicode, and its :abbr command lets you define abbreviations that, when typed, will be expanded.

dcsev:
What is vim? I googled and found:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vim_(text_editor)

If so, that's a wonderful program (I'll try it), but it's still a far cry from doing it from WITHIN the system/program. That way,  I don't have to copy paste every word (ack!) into another program.
thanks

PhilB66:
Go through IDEA: Customizable Unicode character paster thread. You might just find an alternative solution in there.

yksyks:
A bit overkill, but PhraseExpress should accomplish this easily in any program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version