topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 6:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Drag/drop bookmarks between two html/xml files  (Read 3636 times)

Lolipop Jones

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Drag/drop bookmarks between two html/xml files
« on: April 01, 2009, 10:43 AM »
The problem:

I have two sets of Firefox bookmarks:  Set A is used at home and has over 500 entries.  Set B is used at work and is a subset of set A (does not include gaming, sports, hobby sites etc).   When I add a link to the "common area" (folders shared by both sets) I can't use any of the existing sync tools because they will sync everything in both folders, effectively creating two copies of Set A.  So I have to log in and out of Firefox with different profiles for the two sets of bookmarks, copying and pasting links one at a time, and hoping I remember to get them all matched up.

The solution:

If I could export Set A to homemarks.html and Set B to workmarks.html and then look at them in a two-pane window, dragging bookmarks back and forth, I could then re-import the files to their respective Firefox installs.
Today's problems were yesterday's solutions....

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Drag/drop bookmarks between two html/xml files
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:09 PM »
Are you using FF 2.x or 3.x??

If using 2.x you could just edit bookmarks.html.  I'm not familiar with the FF 3 format.