ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Conficker - The Facts

<< < (9/14) > >>

Ehtyar:
I'm sure that having a NAT router between you an the 'net would go a long way toward preventing the problem (though does having UPNP enabled on the router change that? - It came enabled by default on my most recent router.)
-mwb1100 (April 01, 2009, 11:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
Disabling UPNP is to prevent Conficker from spreading from your network only.

I'm surprised at the number of people who expected the skies to fall and the seas boil today. Wasn't my original post about that not happening? Anyway, just be sure to keep your current protections in place and be prepared for the update to occur sometime soon. If you ask me, an awful lot of work has gone into Conficker for its authors to forget about it now.

Ehtyar.

Edvard:
While I certainly was not expecting doomsday, I was wondering if something was happening.

So far, it's done nothing but wake up and start resolving DNS's just like they said it would.

I'm with you Ehtyar, it's put together too well to turn out to be nothing. But what it will do, I am very interested in.

Ehtyar:
Indeed!! I spent far too much time yesterday watching news updates in case there was news. I'd very much like to know what Conficker will morph into when its authors decide to get their act together, though I'm not surprised nothing happened yet, far too much media attention at the moment.

Ehtyar.

40hz:
The people pirating Windows generally use a WGA hack, so they get updates just fine.
-f0dder (April 01, 2009, 04:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

That, or they just use any one of a number of freebie offline-WSUS apps you can find on the web. With these, they just grab all the updates off Microsoft's website and burn them to a DVD for use on multiple machines.

I'm 110% legal with everything (MS Partners don't dare screw around with that) but I still do all my MS updating via offline utilities.
 8)

app103:
Found this amusing little "eye chart" on friendfeed, for detecting if you are infected with Conficker:

http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infection_test/cfeyechart.html

While it's not 100% foolproof detection, it would work in a lot of cases, providing you aren't using certain types of proxies.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version