ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Conficker - The Facts

<< < (7/14) > >>

iphigenie:
But did I get this right - anyone with a legal copy of windows (and that includes people with a legal copy of windows which they installed on several machines, or multiple times on one machine for testing/development purposes) who runs regular updates, is protected by free software, so the only people not protected are the people with pirate copies who don't also have a paid/pirated/free copy of a virus scanner.

Those people really deserve what they get, no?

f0dder:
The people pirating Windows generally use a WGA hack, so they get updates just fine.

How long was the infection window open before a patch was released?

Ehtyar:
But did I get this right - anyone with a legal copy of windows (and that includes people with a legal copy of windows which they installed on several machines, or multiple times on one machine for testing/development purposes) who runs regular updates, is protected by free software, so the only people not protected are the people with pirate copies who don't also have a paid/pirated/free copy of a virus scanner.
-iphigenie (April 01, 2009, 04:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
Incorrect. You can still be infected if using an easily guessed password or through using an infected USB memory stick. The update only protects you from infection over the internet.

Ehtyar.

nite_monkey:
Luckely for me, my computer hates autorun anyways. I believe it only worked for like the first week I had windows installed, and then it just randomly stopped working. Now I need to go home and put a password on my computer's accounts, because I am stupid and don't use passwords on the admin account or my user account because I am stupid... and lazy.

Stoic Joker:
This is a classic example of why the 80/20 Rule of Information Security works. ...And throwing (away) mountains of cash on system resource hogging "Baby-Sitter) security applications doesn't.

I have never had to do a major cleanup on a network where A. (80/20) was inforced and B. (baby-Sitter) was ignored. Now, I'm not advocation that folks run without AV, I'm just point to an all to commonly repeating pattern where most (if not all) of this could have been avoided if people just took a few minutes outa their day to do something that's completely free.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version