ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Conficker - The Facts

<< < (5/14) > >>

Ehtyar:
The primary things you need to concern yourself with for infection prevention are:
-Update your Windows
-Use a strong administrative password
-Disable autorun

You might want to consider getting yourself a real-time virus scanner, ClamAV was originally designed for use on mail servers.

Not sure what you mean by having a computer with DMZ disabled. If you meant your router, then yes I would recommend not having a DMZ at all and using port forwarding where necessary.

Ehtyar.

f0dder:
DMZ = bad (come on, how bad is it to do manual port forwards?), dictionary password = bad.

gally:
Your welcome Jim. ... I did find that some of those, even tho they are the sites ips, may not let you get there... some give an 'access denied' such as pctools and others automatically change to the written url, like norton, right after you use the ip to get there... working around in those sites will take alot of copying and pasting ... symantec/norton won't let you (or maybe just me) use the ip in place of 'www.symantec.com' then '/some/rest/of/an/official/link' to get around in there.

f0dder:
Going to HTTP://ip.number.here often won't work, since the site won't get the "Host: domain.name.com" HTTP header they expect. You'd have to put the IPs in your hosts files, but that file is probably used by DnsQuery() and thus the method is going to fail because Conficker's patching.

app103:
Going to HTTP://ip.number.here often won't work, since the site won't get the "Host: domain.name.com" HTTP header they expect. You'd have to put the IPs in your hosts files, but that file is probably used by DnsQuery() and thus the method is going to fail because Conficker's patching.
-f0dder (April 01, 2009, 12:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

That is very true, but using a proxy like hidemyass.com would probably work, without the need of even trying the IP and using the actual URL that conficker is blocking. And yes, you can download removal tools through that proxy. I tested it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version