topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A DonationCoder job section for DC Coders?  (Read 10504 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
A DonationCoder job section for DC Coders?
« on: March 29, 2009, 03:47 PM »
We've talked a few times about helping the coders on DC to find jobs, by setting up a kind of jobs board type thing.

After some consideration, here's what i was thinking:
  • There's no point in us spending much time trying to build a mediocre job listing system when there are already some very well polished job sites (elance.com, getacoder.com, getafreelancer.com, etc.) that are much better suited to handle such things.
  • However, maybe we can find one of these sites that people like, that allows us to set up a managed "group" on their site, where donationcoder members can sign up at their site, and then be added to the DonationCoder group by the admins here.
  • The key idea would be that the DonationCoder group on that site should be one where we can make sure only established members of DC can be part of, and where DC programming school teachers can leave comments about the coders.
  • Then we can add a forum profile field that would easily link user's forum profile to that group on the job site.
  • And make a nice page on DC listing all people with job accounts and their current status on the site (so the job site should have some kind of api that makes retrieving their current status, i.e. seeking a job, skills, etc.).

Anyone want to help look for a job listing site that might meet this criteria?

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
Re: A DonationCoder job section for DC Coders?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 04:58 PM »
After my surgery (when ever that happens), I will apparently have a couple of weeks, or more, to look into this, all I ask is that you send me an e-mail in about a week to remind me.

Also "word of mouth" is still the best sales pitch. In the forum; I would suggest and area where folks that are DC goers can list technical jobs that they are aware of that need to be filled.

I work by Los Alamos, NM, and 90% of the careers filled are not advertised, they are listed by "Word of mouth", to friends and family, who then apply.

These folks tend to get preferential treatment, as the "labs" have saved the advertising budget. These folks tend to get paid better as well.

Therefore, let someone who is employed at Volt Industries let us know there is a job opening at Volt Industries, rather than waiting for the employment sites to pick-up on the add.

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 04:44 PM »
I think a Job posting board on DC is an excellent idea and something I always felt was lacking.  DC has a great community and some top professionals in their fields.  It's shame not to be able to take advantage of this.

IMO is would be very difficult to locate an existing job posting website that would allow for a special group to be created and limited to users from DC.   Plus using an existing board means we would be bound by their TOS and payment structures which may not fit into the DC way of doing things.

I think if DC started simple with a Posting / Response / Comment / Rating type job board that would be enough to start.  Start very basic and then add as time goes by.  I would also make getting a job free with a large 'Make a Donation to DC' button.  I know if I landed a job through DC I would donate a percentage back to the site.  I wish I had the time because I can almost see the design in my head as I type this.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 05:37 PM »
Perhaps a place for posting more substantial needs on a commercial basis also- maybe someone doesn't need a programmer in house, but needs a specialized program for their business that isn't available elsewhere.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 06:02 AM »
IMO is would be very difficult to locate an existing job posting website that would allow for a special group to be created and limited to users from DC.   Plus using an existing board means we would be bound by their TOS and payment structures which may not fit into the DC way of doing things.

you may be right -- i'd just like to be sure about this before we went to the trouble to set up our own system.  since DC is not interested in making any commissions or money from this, we don't really need to be involved in the process in any real way, so it seems reasonable to me that we could let another site do most of the job arrangement service, and just add to that experience by providing a few additional features for DC-related people, like provide some moderation over who is in the group, so that when you hired or were hired by someone in dc, you had some confidence both were dc regulars who were known, etc.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:59 AM »

i'd just like to be sure about this before we went to the trouble to set up our own system.  since DC is not interested in making any commissions or money from this, we don't really need to be involved in the process in any real way

Just to state the obvious, you'd need to be really careful in establishing how to avoid becoming embroiled in any disputes that might arise.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:13 AM »
yep, all the more reason to rely on another job site service and just try to find one that let us create a moderated group on their site.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 02:43 AM »
The problems I see with this right away would be:

• Location often is a very big issue both for the job and the job hunter
  • We would need to know what skills are available (specifics, not just "coder") since most jobs look for specific skills
  • Ideally, talent seekers (actual employers, not placers) should have unfettered access without actual membership.  It would be nice if they also joined, but it should definitely not be a requirement for them to search for talent.  I know my HR section will go to nearly any FREE source of talent if it is easy enough to search and provides demonstrable results - and the talent pool is large enough to choose from.

Maybe I am just not thinking this through completely since it is only 3:30AM here.  I know they could be handled, many without major issues; but it helps to have a list of points to tackle anyway if for no other reason than to consider for feasibility.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 12:15 PM »
This is again why my idea was to use an existing big job site web service, which anyone could visit when looking to hire someone.

The only modification would be that dc would have some control over which job applicants could join the DC group/page of people looking for work, and have a way where DC could add comments about different job applicants.  The point being that if someone was interested in hiring someone who hangs out at DC, they would have a way to do so and at least have some confidence that the person has been around DC for a while, and is known and trusted here with skills that have been demonstrated.  And the hirer would also know that they could come to DC for a bit of help if they have trouble with the person they hire, etc.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 02:49 PM »
On idea may be to create a group on the various social sites.  LinkedIn is geared toward professional-type relationships.  Maybe that would be a good start?  It isn't truly a talent service as envisioned, but it might be a good start?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 05:04 PM »
Done.  The page for the group is http://www.linkedin....6&trk=anet_ug_hm

If there needs to be changes or someone else wants to be administrator, let me know... I just figured I'd get it started :)

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 03:15 AM »
Nice Wraith - just put in to be added now...

Just a thought though - if we are to control it, shouldn't there be a way to cross reference members?  I noticed when I added myself to the group, there was nothing requesting a wait or anything.  This was the main reason I didn't make the group myself.  I don't know how we should administer that part of it.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:19 AM by steeladept »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 08:35 AM »
I didn't make it a closed group... should I do that?  I figured that just like this forum, anyone who wanted to should be able to join...

Thoughts?