ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software to monitor computer start-up?

(1/3) > >>

cyberdiva:
I've become increasingly frustrated over the amount of time my computer takes to boot up.  Today, it took approximately 3 1/2 minutes.  It's a 3-year-old Dell Optiplex GX 620 desktop running Windows XP Pro with a 3.20 GHz Pentium 4 processor, 1 GB RAM, well over 100 GB of free hard drive space, etc.

I do have some carefully considered programs that load at startup, but not an excessive number.  I know what they are, and both WinPatrol Plus and The Ultimate Troubleshooter help me keep the number in check.  But does anyone know of a program that can monitor what happens at startup--i.e., software that will tell me how long each program takes to load?  I'd like to have a better idea of why things have slowed down.  (I should add that I do very frequent scans for viruses and other malware; my computer does not currently need defragging; my registry is in good shape.) 

Thanks in advance for your help.

rgdot:
I have not used it but BootVis might be helpful.
I know of and have usedStartup Delayer but that may only help in finding culprits, not necessarily give you a benchmark or time for each application

rjbull:
cyberdiva,

Would any of these other DC threads help?

Win Patrol Plus (Bits Du Jour- Fri) Chameleon Startup Manager, Startup Organizer

Boot optimisation software

Chameleon Startup Manager (and other soft) 30% discount (verified June 16, 2007)

startup/tasks manager?

Good programs for helping you manage what programs start with windows?

Shades:
The more technical (but free) option is to run AutoRuns.exe from the SysInternals Suite (available through Microsoft's Technet).

It will show you what (amount of) applications is started during boot. A simple enabling/disabling of a checkbox will result in the software being enabled/disabled during the next startup from your PC. For me the whole suite is a treasure like  a chest filled with 24 karat gold coins, but this tool and Process Explorer would be the diamonds.

ehh, arrrr?

;)

cyberdiva:
I have not used it but BootVis might be helpful.
I know of and have usedStartup Delayer but that may only help in finding culprits, not necessarily give you a benchmark or time for each application
-rgdot (March 29, 2009, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks very much for your response!  I'm especially interested in trying BootVis.  It sounds like the sort of thing I'm looking for--something that will analyze my boot process and identify the programs that are taking the most time.

Startup Delayer looks less interesting.  If I read the description correctly, it does much the same thing that WinPatrol Plus does--it can set delayed startups.  I haven't found that to be all that useful (I've tried it with WinPatrol Plus).  But BootVis looks very promising.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version