ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anti-Necrospamming

<< < (11/12) > >>

Stoic Joker:
This has actually been bugging me for awhile now, as there seems to be two different (seemingly diametrically apposed) schools of thought.

School 1 - Don't keep asking questions that have already been answered, use the search function.

School 2 - Don't resurrect old long dead threads.

So if you have a new spin on an old question you can't add it to the old thread without violating rule 1, and you also can't start a new thread without violating rule 2. Hence there really is no correct answer.

Maybe if the board would add a little tombstone to a post made to a thread that was inactive for (say...) more than 6 months to dramatize the resurrection ... And we lightened up on rule 2 a bit, it could work.

app103:
School 1 - Don't keep asking questions that have already been answered, use the search function.
-Stoic Joker (January 06, 2011, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

But, it's ok to do this...I will still answer you, most likely with a link to the old thread with the original answer.

School 2 - Don't resurrect old long dead threads.
-Stoic Joker (January 06, 2011, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

But it's ok to do this too, as long as you are not resurrecting it for the purposes of spamming and dragging up the old thread because it has the right keywords to go with your SEO spam links.

I was the one that dragged this thread up from the dead, because I had a comment to make in reference to ewemoa's script and the recent server move that came along with a change of forum path that caused it to stop working. That script had been posted in this thread and no other. There was no more appropriate thread to post my comment in than this one.

Ewemoa's script is one of those things that you take for granted after awhile, and aren't even conscious of seeing what it does unless something triggers it, when it's working. Also, when it's not working due to a change in forum path on the server, it slows down page loading a lot. Quite a few people were complaining about slow loading since the move, and I can't help but wonder if some of them are running the script and forgot about it like I did and need to change the path it's supposed to be triggered on.

Stoic Joker:
I was the one that dragged this thread up from the dead, because I had a comment to make in reference to ewemoa's script and the recent server move that came along with a change of forum path that caused it to stop working. That script had been posted in this thread and no other. There was no more appropriate thread to post my comment in than this one.-app103 (January 06, 2011, 05:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Right, I caught that part, and I agree completely with your reasoning for the post. I'd just been watching to see the "crowd reaction" to it ... Which is what got me started thinking about the rule circle.

As you'd mentioned both 1 & 2 are (supposed to be) Okay. But it doesn't always seem to work out that way (again with the crowd reaction part). So working off Deozzan's post I was pondering aloud a solution to something, as it had been bugging me for a bit.

app103:
Ewemoa's Nemse script needs updating again.

Renegade:
The irony here is wondering if we have any newly converted necrophiliacs... :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version