topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: BBCeditor 1.1.35  (Read 260538 times)

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BBCeditor 1.0.27
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2009, 01:50 PM »
WOW, You really have been on fire since my last look at this.  BBCeditor has proven somewhat useful to me since March, but I now see that you have had what, 15+ changes since? :o

I don't use it nearly as much anymore since I was force-moved from my job to another position (not a wholly bad thing in this case, but not requested either).  I still can see the occasional use for it though, like here on DC... :P

Downloading newest version.....

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2009, 02:03 PM »
2steeladept
You've definitely missed most important changes: big speed improvement, alternative parsing engine, snippets and own Open/Save dialogues. There are also Find/Replace and Undo/Redo (set in INI) features.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2009, 10:11 AM »
Thanks for this. I've been looking quite a while for a replacement for FASS and finally saw this in this thread:

https://www.donation...;topicseen#msg176083

Could you explain how to use it though? I don't know what to do with the interface except know that the left side is text typable while the right side is not and when you click save, you actually have to save it as a file.

Edit:

Ok. I finally spotted "Help" at the far right side and the refresh button.

Is there a way to make the shortcuts act like traditional WYSIWYG editor? I mean that is when I click ctrl+B for example it would put the type location immediately between --b and /b as opposed to after [/b]

Also maybe a more noticeable copy text and pre-included templates for making the previews mimic traditional forums? Also do you have plans on extending the program for imageboards and such?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 10:21 AM by Paul Keith »

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2009, 10:45 AM »
2Paul Keith
I am sorry, I don't have a much time for coding these days but I will see what I can do. Last thing I did with BBCeditor was general code clean up only (not released).
I can't promise new version very quick but I'll try to do something with it.

Is there a way to make the shortcuts act like traditional WYSIWYG editor? I mean that is when I click ctrl+B for example it would put the type location immediately between --b and /b as opposed to after [/b]
-Paul Keith
It should not be a problem to make an option for that.

Also maybe a more noticeable copy text and pre-included templates for making the previews mimic traditional forums?
-Paul Keith

There is "Choose style" option in "Tools" menu which checks CSS files from "styles" folder. If something exist there, BBCeditor will show it to you allowing to change preview panel template. Unfortunately, I did not have a time to create valid style sheets yet. Althoguh, you can make it by yourself ;)

Also do you have plans on extending the program for imageboards and such?
-Paul Keith
I am not familiar with them. Care to elaborate what is missing / you'd like to see?

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2009, 11:11 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply. No rush, as far as I know, yours is the only one actually being developed.

Unfortunately I don't know CSS which is why I asked.

With regards to imageboards, there are no BBCodes. At least not the one I used.

Rather it is more like notepad but with some quirky ways to mimic traditional forums. Still, even this, I am not sure whether it's software exclusive. (I actually don't post much in these boards, just thought it was a good idea to diversify.)

The first issue is a bit of a minor one. Most of these boards are for uploading a pic alongside a post so it would be nice to see how an image would be previewed by it although this is a very minor one since most image posters tend to not write any long post.

The quoting and linking system though require the symbols >> and > respectively in front of the text. I forgot which one is which.

Anyways, from what I've seen from a few of these boards, the >> arrow is used for quotes but it's troublesome. First you have to always press the quote button besides the actual poster or at least know the post serial no. of said poster. Finally after you've done this, you can't see the actual quote. Only by posting will you see the quoted post via the number turning into a drop down link that shows the post. I'm not sure if there's an efficient way to preview this but it would be nice to do so.

The > post on the other hand turns the paragraph after it, green. Thus this is an alternative for quoting in those boards.

Unfortunately what this also means is that often times, quoting multiple paragraphs result into only the first paragraph being shown green. Putting multiple > wouldn't be hard but it would be nice if there's a way to highlight and do this as well as mass-remove this.

Those are the only 3 options I know of outside of a permalink/link checker if the thread is up or down that could benefit these boards.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BBCeditor 1.0.28
« Reply #130 on: September 03, 2009, 05:46 AM »
1.0.28 is out!

I've added "Inline Mode" which puts cursor within inserted tags. It can be set on "General" tab in Settings. If it's not working for some tags, please, write about it. I might miss a few.

I have also fixed few other bugs (i.e. empty lists were showing asterisks with alternative engine but not with standard one) and cleaned-up code a little bit (FxCop was killing me ;).

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BBCeditor 1.0.29
« Reply #131 on: September 03, 2009, 06:25 AM »
1.0.29 is out with quick fix for list tag problem.

Thanks to cranioscopical for finding it.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2009, 12:17 PM »
Thanks, fenix'! That was quick.

Also, the inline mode is a good addition to BBCed  :up:

shirty

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2010, 11:49 PM »
I felt compelled to create an account here just to thank you for creating this useful piece of software -- I've been looking extensively for something like it. Used in conjunction with the Firefox addon It's All Text makes it very very handy indeed.  :D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2010, 03:56 PM »
[...] to thank you for creating this useful piece of software [...]

+1 :)
Tom

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2010, 01:11 PM »
2shirty
Thank you very much.

Unfortunately, I have no time and nerves for coding recently (at least not for free one) ;( Stress takes its toll and I spent shamelessly all free time on L4D2 at Steam. I've wanted to work at FenixContacts and add some surprise to BBCeditor but real life appeared to be more important…

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2010, 02:50 AM »
Whoooaa this is GREAT! Fenix, your BBCeditor is the BEST  :Thmbsup:

It works flawlessly with the Firefox Extension "It's All Text" -- and what's more it is fully dictation enabled (e.g. with NaturallySpeaking).

For me this means that I have the forum (e.g. DonationCoder) open on the left monitor, BBCeditor on the right monitor, and am happily dictating away into my forum post!

Pressing Ctrl-S in BBCeditor instantly updates the forum's text box in the browser -- such that I can easily see what I have dictated, WYSIWYG directly in the forum, just by hitting the forum's Preview button.

Thank you very much for this marvellous piece of software!

Cheers David

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2010, 06:54 AM »
I have used this program before and just now installed it on my 64-bit Windows 7 computer. It appears not to work as there is nothing on the right side.

bbceditor.pngBBCeditor 1.1.35

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: June 28, 2010, 11:22 AM »
You might see if going to Settings then Appearance tab and checking the Automatic preview options and if that don't work...

You might also try going to Settings then General tab and checking Use Inline Mode.

Either one of those worked for me in a test and I am on win7 64bit also.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:29 AM by hamradio »

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: June 29, 2010, 08:25 AM »
You might see if going to Settings then Appearance tab and checking the Automatic preview options and if that don't work...
Doh! I didn't realize I needed to hit F5.  It's been a while since I have used this program. That did the trick.

PapyRef

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BBCeditor 1.0.30
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2011, 02:21 AM »
Hi, I'm french user of BBCeditor. It's a very great tool  8)

Is it possible to use French Dic ? How can i do ?

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2011, 04:07 AM »
@PapyRef
Here you are.

I will also add instructions how to build one to first post, as soon as I find more free time.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 04:24 AM by fenixproductions »

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"Image" and "Link" button function in BBCEditor
« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2011, 03:47 AM »
Hi forum & Fenix,

for some reason I haven't used BBCEditor for a while and now wanted to switch to it for good in order to write (actually dictate) all my forum posts.

Writing and dictating works great, as does formatting and WYSIWYG preview.

However, the buttons for image and link insertion don't seem to work the way I expected...

Usually, in order to create a link in a post, I would copy the link's URL into the clipboard, then type the link's name or description into the posting's text, select that link name/description, hit the "Link" button and be presented with a dialog input box where I can insert the link's URL -- in other words, exactly the way it goes when inserting a link e.g with this forum's (DC) post editor:

However, BBCeditor doesn't seem to do that. It only enters [ url][/url ] tags around the selection when I press the Link button. Thus, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to create named links in BBCeditor?

Additionally, the "Image" Button doesn't seem to work at all? Usually, in order to enter an image in a forum's post, I'd expect to be able to copy the image's URL into the clipboard, then press the "Image" button in the editor, then I'd be presented with a dialog input box where I can insert the image's URL and hit Enter.

Alternatively, I'd simply paste the image URL directly into the text, select it, hit the "Image" button and would expect the (pasted) image URL to get surrounded by [ img] tags.

This however doesn't seem to be the case in BBCeditor.

I don't know, maybe I am missing out on something?

-- Therefore, thanks heaps already for any clue regarding easier insertion of images and (named) links into BBCode forum posts using BBCeditor,

Cheers David.P

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2011, 11:15 AM »
@David.P

If you have some text selected and hit URL button it will surround the text with [url] tags BUT it behaves differently when there is no selection:
1. do not select any text and leave the caret in proper place,
2. hit URL button then,
3. Define URL window will appear, where you can define your link's description.

I will try to find a time to take a look on images issue.

P.S. Sometimes I think that I should take a look on BBC profiles because there are few different "standards" for tagging... but I am still too lazy to do so ;)

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2011, 02:25 AM »
1. do not select any text and leave the caret in proper place,
2. hit URL button then,
3. Define URL window will appear, where you can define your link's description.
-fenixproductions (May 06, 2011, 11:15 AM)

I see! This works as expected. Thanks!

I will try to find a time to take a look on images issue.

Yes please... I just can't seem to find out how image insertion works at present... :-(

Regards David

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2011, 03:38 PM »
Working with BBceditor with another forum.
I'm quoting and the quotes use capital letters for "url" in links.
This doesnt show properly in bbceditor
e.g.
this:
CPU:[url=http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41226&agid=1617&pvid=4mxzu5fiw_gq5bjwzb&ref=13&lb]Intel Core i5 2400[/url]
shows as expected thus:
CPU:Intel Core i5 2400

but this
CPU:[URL=http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41226&agid=1617&pvid=4mxzu5fiw_gq5bjwzb&ref=13&lb]Intel Core i5 2400[/URL]
remains the same
CPU:[URL=http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41226&agid=1617&pvid=4mxzu5fiw_gq5bjwzb&ref=13&lb]Intel Core i5 2400[/URL]

it's no big deal to me as I know it will work in the forum but just thought I'd let you know in case it's an easy fix ;)
Tom

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: August 12, 2011, 03:48 AM »
Darn! I completely forgot about David.P post. Real live sucks :(

@tomos
This should be very easy to fix (matter of regexp) but it reminds me how inconsistent BB code can be.

There are various flavours of it and no named schemes for them (i.e. there are [list] or [ul] tags, [*] or [li], etc.) and that makes it hard to follow each BB system nicely.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2012, 12:46 PM »
I am one of those people who really should use BBCeditor before posting..., but a couple of 'items' have so far kept me from doing so.

1) I cannot see any difference in your program between "Use inline mode" or not, when I want to insert a photo. So my request is for an option to insert picture in the same way we do here at DC: "[(attachimg=#)]" only, instead of right away asking me to navigate to the file. It will make the program more useful here at DonationCoder's forum; "[(img]C:\FotoTemp\Curt'sPicture.jpg[/img)]" is not helpful here.

2) The other thing is that I really would like your program to both auto-save and auto-close-to-tray  / minimize when I hit Escape, please. Preferably compared with a hotkey to open with the same file already open in the same position.

Doable?

Modified:
Can you simply copy these options:

2012-03-30_193401.gif

:tellme:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:57 PM by Curt »

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2012, 05:19 PM »
BBCeditor 1.1 is ready for testing.

All small changes done according to latest comments.
I will keep it in WIP state for some time waiting for opinions.

Download

From now on I am not willing to implement any more changes to basic parser (alternative one is based on RegExp and is easier to handle).

@David.P
Images functionality changed a little bit.

@tomos
This bug is related to upper case tags. It is fixed for "alternative parser".

@Curt
1. Inline mode can be seen when inserting tags: difference lies in cursor placement after toolbars button click it either stays within tags or is put after. To see it just select some text, push bold and observe.

Oh! And I've added DC images functionality.

2. Minimizing play can now be set via config.ini editing.
Code: Text [Select]
  1. [General]
  2. MinimizeOnEscape=0
  3. MinimizeSave=0
  4. MinimizeToTray=0
- MinimizeOnEscape - Escape key minimizes application,
- MinimizeSave - saves file changes but works only if file name already exists,
- MinimizeToTray - just as it says.
Change 0 to 1 when you need it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:45 PM by fenixproductions »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BBCeditor 1.1
« Reply #149 on: March 31, 2012, 06:34 PM »
-marvelous!  

I have no further requests. THANK YOU!  :Thmbsup:

---
Thanks also for explaining 'inline mode'.

Edited:
FYI: the file type abbreviation .pdb is also being used by other programs. Windows has marked my copy as a "STDUviewer PDB File", but "of course" STDUviewer cannot open it.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:55 PM by Curt, Reason: pdb »