topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 8:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: another mind/logic mapping tool  (Read 3138 times)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
another mind/logic mapping tool
« on: March 25, 2009, 05:46 PM »
there seems to be a lot of interest in planning/GTD tools so this may be of interest to some - <a href="http://argumentative...tml>Argumentative</a>

from the site
Argumentative is open source Argument Mapping software.  It allows you to view and manipulate the structure of an argument.
A tree view allows the argument to be expanded and contracted in a format that is quickly navigated.

there are a lot of links off the site to relevant or associated materials so even if the softwares of no use the refence material may be...

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: another mind/logic mapping tool
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 06:06 PM »
Unfortunately no, Argumentative was one of the first mapping tools I found I wanted to use when I was looking to drop Freemind and I was optimistic about it until the flaw of the model showed itself.

It isn't that the program is bad per se but it's model is bad. It uses an old but popular model of separating one topic to two sides, pros and cons and pretty much that. The model is bad for the same reason Freemind is bad as a mindmapping tool, it doesn't really work well for right brained types to be limited to a structure and left-brained types would prefer outlines.

In fact, I dare you to try using this program alone and then comparing it with making a rico cluster on paper and then outlining the items and then transferring it in outline form to the PC. You'll often get better results with the latter everytime and if you can get better results with that, you can pretty much substitute Argumentative for any outliner/Freemind/MindManager tools.

Arguments are simply too sporadic to be limited in two columns especially wicked problems.

I will say though that I'm extremely biased to Compendium and I have often recommended that in many posts here that it might be shilling. Unfortunately by omitting that name, I also realize that someone can dig up a past many posts of mine mentioning that program and can use my avoidance of it's mention as an attempt to be secretly biased against this program.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: another mind/logic mapping tool
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 06:21 PM »
will say though that I'm extremely biased to Compendium and I have often recommended that in many posts here that it might be shilling. Unfortunately by omitting that name, I also realize that someone can dig up a past many posts of mine mentioning that program and can use my avoidance of it's mention as an attempt to be secretly biased against this program.
damned if you do, and damned if you don't...