topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PushButton: Powerful open source Flash game engine  (Read 7097 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
PushButton: Powerful open source Flash game engine
« on: March 29, 2009, 07:49 AM »
This looks like extremely exciting news for developers interested in making high quality Flash games.. It's a new open source flash game engine called PushButton Engine, and it looks very impressive, including physics, tilemaps, and networking.

The PushButton Engine is an open-source [FLASH] game engine and framework that's designed for a new generation of games. This game engine helps you spend less time with code conventions and more time designing fun experiences.

• Physics based on Box2D.
  • Gameplay components: health, teams, state machines.
  • Sprite-based and SWF-based 2D rendering.
  • Tilemap system.
  • Pathfinding library.
  • Basic networking. Pass events to/from your servers, do XMLRPC/JSON Web API requests, etc.
  • Awesome UI capabilities via Flash - localizable, stylable/themable, internationalizable.
  • Editor
  • Easy to customize and extend for your game, based on the components you are using.
  • Human-readable XML formats, so easy to do automated processing, use other editors, convert from external sources, etc.
  • Written in Flash, so runs everywhere PushButton Engine does.
  • Advanced Networking Library

from http://www.salon.com/

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PushButton: Powerful open source Flash game engine
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 10:15 PM »
Wow. Thanks for the random decision to sign into Twitter I just noticed this post.

Sounds cool. I'll have to look more into it.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 05:56 PM »
Interesting. Nice Find  :up:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 06:46 PM »
I'd heard about PushButtonLabs from Jeff Tunnel's blog Make It Big in Games, but I didn't realize they were creating an Open Source engine. But it makes sense, considering he says he thinks that games are going to be getting cheaper and cheaper until they are free. Or at least for some markets.

As an example of the future, look at the game section of the iPhone App Store. In this market, the right price for a game is $0, and I believe that is where all game prices are heading. For a while, there will be successes at $3.99 to $1, but eventually, I think you will see capitulation to the $0 price point.

Why are games going to what many see as absurdly low price points? It is a simple answer. Supply and demand. It used to be difficult and expensive to make games, so few people had the knowledge to create a game, and even if you could figure out how to make a game, there were only a few distribution outlets. There was no Internet, so only a few games could be brought to the few shelves open to selling them. With relatively few games being made, and fewer being distributed via hard media, games were scarce, resulting in high price points.