Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 21, 2014, 05:29:04 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: DONE: Program to identify and delete empty folders in a tree  (Read 33852 times)
jovejupiter
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 08, 2005, 06:39:32 AM »

I've been looking for a simple way to seek out and delete empty folders within a folder tree but there doesn't appear to be any suitable software on the web.

The user would give the program the identity of a folder and the program would present a list of all empty sub-folders in the tree leading from the given folder. The user could then select folders to delete.

Does anybody know of a suitable program out there or feel like coding one?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 01:51:15 PM by brotherS » Logged
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 07:15:36 AM »

i like this idea very much -
i was thinking of a program that did this and some other cleanup and maintenance functions on files/folders.  interested to here if there are already some good programs that do this kind of thing.
skrommel
Fastest code in the west
Developer

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 05:36:14 PM »

smiley Here's non tree version - AHK doesn't have a tree view control - yet!

DelEmpty - List and delete empty folders.

Features:
- Show filecount and size of files and subfolders.
- Sort by files, size or path.
- Doubleclick to explore a folder.

You'll find the downloads and more info at Skrommel Software.

Skrommel

Please stop by my site at  1 Hour Software by skrommel  for downloads and more info.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 05:41:02 PM »

skrommel is getting too good at making gui tools with ahk now.. i'm starting to fear for my job security  Wink
LuckMan212
Charter Member

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 09:17:02 PM »

I have a further idea to take this program to the next level....... for awhile I have looked for a utility or batch file/script that could do this:

scan program files folder for all folders that do NOT contain any .exe files in their root.

these kind of folders are often left behind after programs uninstall themselves but leave behind "remnants" such as .ini or .bak files.  These clutter up your Program Files dir and make it hard to see what you have actually installed and what are simply "ghost" folders.
skrommel
Fastest code in the west
Developer

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 08:58:15 AM »

smiley Try DelEmpty v1.1.

@LuckMan212:
scan program files folder for all folders that do NOT contain any .exe files in their root.

Skrommel

Please stop by my site at  1 Hour Software by skrommel  for downloads and more info.
brotherS
Master of Good Ideas
Honorary Member

To make a difference, be different.

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 01:56:45 PM »

Another great tool! Thanks, Skrommel!

A few suggestions for 1.2:

- add something so that one could see if the program is still scanning the folder. Of course this is only a problem when you scan BIG folders, then then it really IS a problem.
cheesy

- maybe add a "stop" button to stop it from scanning?

- IMHO, the tool should not set the checkmark for folders that contain 0 files, 0 folders BUT 1 .exe!

- when you mark several folders with Shift-CursorUp/CursorDown and hit Space then, only the last marked folder will get/lose its checkmark, not all the marked ones.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 02:11:35 PM by brotherS » Logged

Thank you.
skrommel
Fastest code in the west
Developer

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 03:13:05 PM »

smiley Great suggestions!

Skrommel

Cavalcader
Charter Member

Live Long & Prosper

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 01:04:00 PM »

(this post was no longer relevant)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 11:27:55 AM by Cavalcader » Logged

My Linguistic Profile:
  40% General American English
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?
Cavalcader
Charter Member

Live Long & Prosper

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 01:38:50 PM »

Hi, Skrommel -- been getting lotsa use out of DelEmpty. Thanks -- it's very handy!

A few suggestions for 1.2:
  • add something so that one could see if the program is still scanning the folder. Of course this is only a problem when you scan BIG folders, then then it really IS a problem.
  • maybe add a "stop" button to stop it from scanning?
  • IMHO, the tool should not set the checkmark for folders that contain 0 files, 0 folders BUT 1 .exe!
  • when you mark several folders with Shift-CursorUp/CursorDown and hit Space then, only the last marked folder will get/lose its checkmark, not all the marked ones.

The one about auto-checking folders with EXEs is very pertinent -- in one case today it checkmarked a folder with 9 executables and a subdir. Do you know of a quick tweak I might be able to add? smiley

My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

Dr-Leech

Psychedelic Coder

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 12:14:33 PM »

I can't believe the power of AHK. Everyday I see things like that here in DC and I can't figure out.
I didn't saw AHK since many time ago, but those days things created with it are incredible.

Thanks Skrommel, really good job!

jenbert
Supporting Member

Yup That's me with James "Spike" Marstons

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 12:39:51 PM »

Wink The DelEmpt File works great! The only problem I have with it is I can get to to go into my program files or hace and an icon on mydesk top. So what I was forced to do was put the exe file as a short cut on my desk top. Any solutions as to have a regular icon or to get it into my program files list?
Thatnks for any help ypu can give,
Jennie
Cavalcader
Charter Member

Live Long & Prosper

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 09:19:05 PM »

The only problem I have with it is I can get to to go into my program files or hace and an icon on mydesk top.
Hi, Jennie -- welcome to the board! I tried to figure out what in the world you were asking. (Reread your note -- the message uses words that don't even exist. Heh! The message "preview" and "spell check" buttons work wonders. Wink ) I think you're asking about "installing" the program so it shows up on your Start Menu (and maybe the desktop). Let me know if I misunderstood.

If I'm reading it right, the easiest way is to move the program to "c:\program files". After that, right-click it, and move down to the "Send to" submenu at the bottom. Pick "Desktop (create shortcut)". Then, if you want it on your Start Menu, you can just drag it to the Start button, which will show the menu. (Don't let go of it yet.) Then drag it to "All Programs", and drop it on the programs menu that pops up. Finally, you can delete it from the desktop if you don't want it in both places.

Hope that helps! By the way -- who the heck is James "Spike" Marstons?  smiley
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 09:21:19 PM by Cavalcader » Logged

My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

jenbert
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 01:54:22 PM »

Sorry about my typos. When I get frustrated I fail to proof read. Thanks for the welcome and the tip on spell check! tongue  On very successfully able to decipher my plea for help. It helped out a lot, thanks again. However I am appalled that you don't know who James Marsters is! He 1st played Spike the vampire on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, then in the seasons finally he got his soul back. They then wrote him in a part on the off shoot show Angel. After that show was canceled (big mistake) he did some cameo appearances on Smallville. His next role he will costar in a major motion picture with Hilary Swank, Gerard Butler, Kathy Bates, and Lisa Kudrow. That is P.S. I Love You . I think the filming is done but it won't be out until 2008.
     Here are some sites to get you better acquainted withe MAN!
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0551346/
http://movies.yahoo.com/m...ie/contributor/1804493909
http://www.jamesmarsters.com/home.html
http://www.celebritywonde...mesmarsters_fansite1.html
That should give ya enough enough for a lil while. And just think, I got to spend glorious time alone with him. And even got one of those only seen on TV passionate kisses from him. My knees still go weak from thinking about it. Did I mention I have been happily married for 14.5 yrs and this was my birthday present?
Take good care and thanks for everything!
Jennie
Cavalcader
Charter Member

Live Long & Prosper

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 03:02:27 PM »

Sorry about my typos.
Ehh, no harm done.  Cool

It helped out a lot, thanks again.
Kewl! Glad it did the trick.

However I am appalled that you don't know who James Marsters is!
Heh! Thanks for the background info -- sounds like the guy must be talented to be working so much. Guess I never really got into Buffy or Angel (although of course the gal that plays Buffy is drop-dead goreous).  cheesy  The P.S. I Love You movie sounds worth seeing -- I'll have to check it out when it opens.

Did I mention I have been happily married for 14.5 yrs and this was my birthday present?
Sounds like a memorable one. tongue  Way to go, too, on the marriage -- it's always nice to see people that make it work instead of cutting and running after a couple of years. smiley  Nice to meetcha!

My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

skrommel
Fastest code in the west
Developer

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 03:29:12 PM »

smiley Try DelEmpty v1.2. It's got a few of your suggestions incoporated.

Skrommel
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 06:35:31 PM by skrommel » Logged

jenbert
Supporting Member

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 04:59:11 PM »

Formatted for AutoIt with the GeSHI Syntax Highlighter [copy or print]
  1. Kewl! Glad it did the trick.
Yeah me too!

1. (although of course the gal that plays Buffy is drop-dead goreous)
I have it on good authority, umm from James himself, that's she pretty much a witch to work with.

1. Way to go, too, on the marriage
Thank you. And we have 3 wonderful boys too. 13,11 & 9.

1. Nice to meetcha!
Very nice to meet you too. I am Jennie to my friends.  smiley
Cavalcader
Charter Member

Live Long & Prosper

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 01:39:24 AM »

smiley Try DelEmpty v1.2. It's got a few of your suggestions incoporated.
Awesome, Skrommel -- thank you sir! And, good to see you back around the board.  Thmbsup (BTW, the quoted link is "1hoursoftwrawe.com", but I figured it out...)  tongue

1. (although of course the gal that plays Buffy is drop-dead goreous)
I have it on good authority, umm from James himself, that's she pretty much a witch to work with.
Wow, sorry to hear that. (Hmm, maybe my "goreous" typo was more accurate, as in, gored by a bull.  Grin )  Then again, maybe they didn't hit it off, but that doesn't guarantee that Gellar's like that with everybody. Wink  Still, it could be the curse of a beautiful face -- so many times, "the beautiful people" (really attractive men & women) tend to be rather self-centered if they're used to people fawning on them. Kind of a vicious circle -- they come to expect it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 01:43:35 AM by Cavalcader » Logged

My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 04:38:37 AM »

Just had a chance to use this today and wanted to say: DelEmpty is fantastic  thumbs up
Cavalcader
Charter Member

Live Long & Prosper

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 12:04:20 PM »

I'll second that. I wonder if there's a way to make it auto-size the columns? I think it did in a previous version. smiley

My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

klausk
Participant

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 11:38:32 AM »

I used RED (Remove Empty Directories) for years and I really recommend it.

http://www.jonasjohn.de/lab/red.htm
Cavalcader
Charter Member

Live Long & Prosper

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 01:35:58 PM »

Thanks for the lead -- looks pretty good!

My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

esvin
Participant

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 11:50:35 PM »

I think it will be better to do a coding for it so that we can make it in our own way. Idea is not bad. With each other’s help, we can make it a success. Do anyone have any idea about such software’s, just for a look. I need a basic idea first so that the work will be much easier. Now I am free for some time as our present project is over and there is some gap for the next.
Cavalcader
Charter Member

Live Long & Prosper

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 03:39:32 PM »

Are you talking about writing something from scratch to replace DelEmpty, esvin?

My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

sprint907
Participant

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 07:43:37 AM »

Is there a command line version of this program?
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.339s | Server load: 0.1 ]