ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What would it take to create and then sell a very successful website?

<< < (3/4) > >>

mouser:
I have become very cynical about what i perceive as the almost insurmountable problem of getting exposure for good ideas.

Unless you have a couple million dollars to spend on advertising, I would worry very much about how to get the word out.

One of the biggest frustrations i hear from people trying to get new websites off the ground (whether commercial or not) is how to get the word out about their site.

I'm afraid that in the current world, a vastly inferior product with a lot of money to spend on advertising will easily bury and doom a much better product with no advertising budget or pr department.

People go into these things thinking: if it's a great product, people will flock to it.. i wouldn't count on that.

40hz:
Let me know what you guys think.
-gary1095 (March 23, 2009, 02:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm pessimistic. And I hope you prove me completely wrong. ;D

I wish you the best of luck in your venture. :Thmbsup:

:)

mouser:
The other way to look at it of course is, if you can figure out a way to create it without spending much money, give it a try -- what is there to lose?

superboyac:
Unless you have a couple million dollars to spend on advertising, I would worry very much about how to get the word out.
-mouser (March 23, 2009, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
I thought about this also, but I didn't know exactly how much money/time/effort is involved.  i suspect that less of one would involve much more of the other.  I've read before that for blogs, for instance, to make it really popular (enough to make a decent amount on advertising) you need to spend a lot of time advertising it on forums and so forth.  it turns out to be a full time job and only works occasionally, if you're very lucky.  I think i read this on Problogger.

But if gary1095 can put in the necessary legwork and that amount of legwork turns out to be enough, then yes, it's a good idea. 

J-Mac:
At first I thought that you must be talking about domain names, not actual web sites. Extremely few people have made it big with a "web site", though there was a time when many became wealthy by buying up domain names and then auctioning them off. You can't do that easily anymore for any trademarked, or even just famous name, though a few celebrities have recently sued and lost to get back domain names with their names in them.

As for an individual starting a social network, forget it! All of the current "biggies" started out with major investments and have picked up even more since then. It takes at least a couple of million dollars (US, anyway) to get a site off the ground and keep it going until it can start pulling its own weight.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version