topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday April 15, 2024, 10:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Clickless mouse (for web browsing)  (Read 8271 times)

the3seashells

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • "Is that what you call this?"
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Clickless mouse (for web browsing)
« on: March 22, 2009, 08:06 PM »
Help save me from boring phone conversations! Frequently, when enduring a boring phone conversation, I think to myself how much I would enjoy surfing the web and would do so were it not for the tell-tale clicks the other person would hear. My proposed solution: clickless browsing.

I would love a program that would send a mouse click every time I moved the mouse quickly from left to right and back again (or the reverse) and would scroll the active window when the mouse is touching either the top or the bottom of the screen. (For an example of the sort of side to side -> click idea that I am talking about, go to http://www.dontclick.it/ press the "click here" button and then navigate to "Explore" then "Button Lab" and then open the "gesture (1)" example)

Any help or further ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Clickless mouse (for web browsing)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 08:22 PM »
You can get rid of the clicking sound the pc makes when you click links by shutting it off in Sounds.

Start>Settings?Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices

On the Sounds tab, locate "Start Navigation" under Windows Explorer. Select "None" from the dropdown at the bottom. Click Apply, OK, and you are done. No more clicking sound.  :)

Additionally, some mouse drivers have settings for automatic clicking, that will work not just in your browser, but everywhere in windows:

SNAG-00216.png

Also, if you are using Firefox, Opera, or K-Meleon, or another browser that supports it, you may be able to set some of what you want as mouse gestures.

the3seashells

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 08:28 PM »
app103 thanks for your reply! Unfortunately, I am referring to the sound my mouse physically makes when it is clicked (even if it were unplugged from the computer) and not the built in (and admittedly ridiculous) navigation click sound.

And in terms of existing gesture solutions that I have been able to find, they were all dependent a gesture button being held for them to work. That will not really suit my purposes as the person on the other end of the call would hear me pressing keys on the keyboard.

The evoluent mouse manager "auto click" feature would work to an extent, but my mouse does not support it so far as I can tell.

-the3seashells
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 08:30 PM by the3seashells »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 08:40 PM »
Try Skrommel's Mouse Activate.
Automatically activates a window or a control when the mouse hovers over it, or autoclick if the mouse is left in the same place for 1 second.

Now if we could only get Skrommel to make a Mouser Activate coding snack. That would be something!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 08:42 PM by Deozaan »

the3seashells

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 08:45 PM »
Thank you Deozaan- this gets me 90% of the way there. I should have reviewed Skrommel's programs in more depth before posting. Thanks again.

-the3seashells

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 08:50 PM »
Now if we could only get Skrommel to make a Mouser Activate coding snack. That would be something!

That's the problem. I think Skrommel already made it and when activated, causes mouser to wander off and build bookcases.  :P

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 09:16 PM »
when activated, causes mouser to wander off and build bookcases
;D ;D

kip

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Fx Software
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 06:02 PM »
try Mouseketeer, freeware mouse clicking application.

http://www.fxc.btinternet.co.uk