ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Android phone - anyone using it?

(1/3) > >>

nudone:
i'm looking at the Android phone thingy. might sign-up for one. question is, is it any good mobile browsing, i don't really care about the rest of it - i won't be watching videos, playing music or even using it like a typical phone. just browsing.

maybe the questions is, is the android thing better than the ipone for the internet? i like the idea of a real keyboard for email so the iphone gets thrown in the bin straight away on that one.

anyway, anyone know what they are talking about regarding the gadget (cos i certainly don't).

nite_monkey:
I don't personally own a G1, I'm on AT&T.
But here is a pretty good video of the web browser.
It looks like it might be a pretty good browser

nudone:
thanks for that. the browsing doesn't look too bad.

now i just need to decide if it might be better to get a netbook, which ought to be better for what i want but the monthly fee is more and you have less monthly allowance - G1 on t-mobile is 'unlimited' usage, unlike other mobile broadband offers.

Eóin:
I've a Windows Mobile phone, browsing on that with Opera is fantastic. Not sure if that's of anyway help to you?

davidqxo:
I've been using the Android G1 since soon after it came out. I use it for all the usual smartphone functions, as well as browsing.

The thumb keyboard works well for me, and the browser seems fast and easy to use. Panning around on pages not formatted for a mobile device feels intuitive and easy.

This phone replaces a Palm Treo 650 that I used for many years. The G1 is much lighter in weight and better in form factor. Keyboard is a little better to use, too.

I had become hugely tired and annoyed with syncing my contacts/calendars/email across platforms, so some years ago I moved everything to Gmail. When the G1 came out I jumped on it. I'd rate it 7 out of 10 for my purposes. There are a number of usability features that can, and will, I expect, improve with software maturity. For example, only way I can see to get camera pictures to my computer is to tediously email them one by one.

I'll be happy to reply to followup questions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version