You might want to take a look at PhotoMesa.
(see attachment in previous post)
PhotoMesa crapped on me with an exception while it was trying to index the collection. Epic fail.
3 down, more to go...
By the way, if you know
of an application that conforms to my requirement below (as in, actually tried it), please say so - it may shorten my search.
My wishlist for an organizer:
* A primarily tag/search/view application. I don't mind if image manipulation functionality is included, but it is not a priority (I can do it using other tools).
* Fast and robust. Can work with thousands of folders and hundreds of thousands images.
* Allows for adding/moving/removing images into the tree after it was already indexed (either from inside the app or externally).
* Allows tagging whole folders or individual images.
* Tags are saved in the image files (IPTC/EXIF/etc.) in a portable way
, as well as in the DB (need one for speed).
* Supports nested tags/keywords. E.g., define "animals", "cats" and "dogs" tags. Searching for "animals" will find images tagged as "cats" or "dogs".
* Supports complex queries (E.g., "animals" but not "birds" except "ostriches").
* Supports browsing and searching by tags and by folders.
* Allows batch setting of other metadata (comments, copyright, etc.)
* Ability to find duplicate/similar images can be a nice bonus.
* Freeware is preferred (obviously).