ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Rambooster. Junk?

<< < (6/13) > >>

cmpm:
Those who use cleanmem like it.
The rest of the story is already posted.

f0dder:
Those who use cleanmem like it.
The rest of the story is already posted.
-cmpm (March 21, 2009, 04:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
And there's people who believe in the tooth fairy as well :)

The guy behind cleanmem is at least honest about what & how he does, and he does it the proper way - so I'm not going to label the app as snakeoil. However, it does nothing that Windows doesn't do itself, and imho it doesn't do it better.

If you're running applications the leak memory, you're much better off restarting them than using cleanmem, since restarting the leaked app will actually free up the used memory, and once restarted, the app will have non-fragmented heap memory.

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

... Remarks: You can also use the SetProcessWorkingSetSize function to do what EmptyWorkingSet does if you pass it -1 for the minimum and maximum sizes.-f0dder
--- End quote ---

And Shane's assertion, stated very clearly, is that he found from experience that the functions do not function identically.

http://www.download2me.com/forum/cleanmem-memory-cleaner-t107323p9.html
Shane

"I did try the SetProcessWorkingSetSize -1 trick when I first started playing around with cleanmem and my other programs, it did work but I noticed the pagefile would grow a little, so I dumped it. When I tested with emptyworkingset the page file didnt budge."

Notice that in post 87 in the thread (I'm going through the 13 pages, the ugliness of some of the posts reminds me of one reason I appreciate DonationCoder) -- Shane looks at SweepRam with the differences noted, including the function called.

As for restarting leaking apps, that is good advice either way.  The question is whether CleanMem may be a good interim help on some systems.  Especially if you have 3 or 5 leakies.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

f0dder:
Steven Avery: sounds like bull (or incorrect testing) to me - I haven't done very intensive RE of the APIs, but both SetProcessWorkingSetSize and EmptyWorkingSet call NtSetInformationProcess() with the ProcessQuotaLimits class. SetProcessWorkingSetSize wraps it in RtlAcquirePrivilege()/RtlReleasePrivilege(), though. EmptyWorkingSet() calls GetSystemInfo() instead of setting the necessary structure 100% manually, so stuff could work slightly differently - I very much doubt that there's any substantial difference, though.

I might just end up doing some more intensive RE of the issue, since I like getting to the bottom of things. Under all circumstances, the two function calls do the same - trim the process working set size. And, again, Windows does this by itself as needed.

Anyway, a program like CleanMem might be a stopgap solution if you simply cannot restart a leaking application... but IMHO it's more likely to be a placebo for the people who feel it does them good.

cmpm:
Yeah, fodder, and XP does it's job so well...

I don't know why you don't even try it.
If you haven't.
With your knowledge you could post some real figures.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version