ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Backup software à la dropbox (backups differences in file - revisions)

<< < (3/4) > >>

cmpm:
You might want to test Mozy.
It does file types.
And just use it for the revisions.

http://mozy.com/

tomos:
http://mozy.com/
-cmpm (March 21, 2009, 06:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
it's extremely difficult to find out more info on their website about how exactly they backup the files -
could you clarify what you mean here cmpm ?
It does file types.
And just use it for the revisions.-cmpm (March 21, 2009, 06:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't that what subversion does? Just store the changes rather than the entire file?
-Deozaan (March 21, 2009, 05:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'll have definitely have another look at that then (there was a bit of discussion lately about "that sort of thing" in this Filehamster thread

Depends, in default mode (database) storing only the changes would make the most sense...but that would be true for any version control system that uses a database as storage medium.-Shades (March 21, 2009, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
of the top of your head do you know which ones might use "a database as storage medium" :)

cmpm:
yeah - let me get a couple of shots
i have syncplicity, dropbox and mozy all on the same comp.
They don't conflict.

cmpm:
notice in shot 4 it can rename file if it already exists when restoring

in the first shot you can choose the file extensions or type to backup

hope this helps, ask more if you want to

tomos:
thanks cmpm  :up: -
the "mozy home" option @ $4.95* for unlimited amount of backup - then I could do as many revisions as I wanted (at the moment I'm backing up my backups online so I'm not too worried about their software so long as it works.

*  on the homepage it has a scary asterisk after the price - especially scary cause there's no other asterisk on the page so I've no idea what it signifies (I searched just in case!)
** (only) the pro version offers "Block-level incremental backups ...  Desktop Licenses: $3.95 + $0.50/GB per month

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version