ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Backup software à la dropbox (backups differences in file - revisions)

(1/4) > >>

tomos:
This may well be covered here somewhere but as you can see from the title I'm not sure what to call it

Is there backup software that does revisions but only saves the difference in the file each time (which is what dropbox does)
I know there's synch software that does this but I'm looking for the equivalent of incremental backup on a file basis - without having to save the whole file each time.

Online (dropbox, there may be others that do this) I find too expensive - @ $99 a year I may as well invest in an external harddrive each year and I'll get a lot more space. It may be worthwhile from a convenience point of view. Always good to check out the options though ;). Ah, I remember something about Jungledisk being able to do this too but I think it may just do synch - very difficult to find any info on their site

mouser:
are you specifically looking for online backup tools or local ones?

justice:
Jungledisk does this but you have to pay a small fee for it. And for example Cobian Backup does this if you're looking for local backup.

tomos:
sorry I was a bit unclear

I really wanted to know in this thread about "local" software possibilities that would do this type of backup -
i.e. copy only the changed parts of files each time they changed and at the same time, offer the possibility to go back to different versions of the file -
(Am I explaining that part clearly ?)

I'm open to online suggestions too though - I just find the fees too high usually (there I'm being unclear again ;))

Jungledisk does this but you have to pay a small fee for it. And for example Cobian Backup does this if you're looking for local backup.
-justice (March 19, 2009, 11:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I believe JD only synches when it does the "Block-level file updates" - see the last couple of posts in your review thread.
I'll ask in Cobian forum - but I dont see any sign that they do what I'm looking for.

mouser:
just a warning.. backing up only the parts of changed files seems inherently more prone to restorationg problems than backing up entire changed files (which is what i use).  i can see some cases where you might want it, perhaps if you have giant files that change just a little.. but i would think long and hard about it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version