ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

UltraEdit for Linux? Could it (finally) be?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Darwin:
getting a new key from this company everytime a major version is released is a pain if you are a lifetime user.
--- End quote ---

Roughly once a year, you have to request a key if you want to upgrade.  Not much of a big deal.

Zaine, why are you so excited about UEX if there are already a bunch of superior editors for Linux?

-mrainey (March 20, 2009, 12:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes - my experience with this is that it is a non-issue, as new versions come out every 14 months or so and the whole process is automated. Collectorz lifetime licenses, on the other hand, CAN be a bit of a PITA to update, but that's really because they haven't put in place a mechanism to automate the process - you have to write to support and wait for them to write back.

Note that EditPad Pro was available in a Linux version but that the developer abandoned it due to lack of interest. My suspicion is that this is a very competitive market with well-established players (both FOSS and shareware) and that mwb1100 is right - IDM must be after those Windows users migrating to Linux.

Josh:
Plus, it seems our own zaine is overly upset about said issue as well: See here:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/UltraEdit/976352095/1

zridling:
I'm not so much 'excited' since I don't use it anymore, but it's good news whenever a great program makes itself available on another platform. UltraEdit's advantage has always been its customizability. My direction these days is that in a perfect world, the OS shouldn't matter as much as the apps. By making so many good apps cross-platform, you simultaneously reduce the necessity for being locked-in to any one platform, thus increasing my freedom to choose which OS I want to use without losing the investment I've put into licensing over the years.

I've really enjoyed the Kate Editor on (KDE) Linux for a while. Josh is right to point out my frustrations with IDM. As a lifetime user, I shouldn't have to beg/request/ or prove my license to them every year. Put me on the 'lifetime' mailing list and just send me the code when you release the version. I don't have to use it, but I've already paid for it.

Josh:
Software moving to *nix is nice, but I do not think every application will do so or will benefit as such. The problem I see with linux is that most software is freeware, or F/OSS if you will. As such, if a payware application moves over, it has the added disadvantage of having users say "I have x hundred apps that are free and do the same thing, why should I PAY for this?". UE Might be a nice editor, although updated far too frequently with MAJOR revisions, but I do not see it making a dent unless it either lowers its price to cater to the "All Software Should Be Free" crowd, or opens its source so a spin-off could be made.

zridling:
Software moving to *nix is nice, but I do not think every application will do so or will benefit as such. The problem I see with linux is that most software is freeware, or F/OSS if you will. As such, if a payware application moves over, it has the added disadvantage of having users say "I have x hundred apps that are free and do the same thing, why should I PAY for this?". UE Might be a nice editor, although updated far too frequently with MAJOR revisions, but I do not see it making a dent unless it either lowers its price to cater to the "All Software Should Be Free" crowd, or opens its source so a spin-off could be made.
-Josh (March 21, 2009, 08:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good points, Josh. It will be interesting to see how well it does and whether it was worth the port effort in a couple of years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version