ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

UltraEdit for Linux? Could it (finally) be?

(1/3) > >>

zridling:
The long-rumored UltraEdit for Linux (and Mac), officially named UEX, has only been vaporware to date. But the alpha has been announced and beta testers are being called for.

IDM is already signaling how serious it is about UltraEdit’s cross-platform debut by claiming that UEX will in some ways be better than its Windows version. As a lifetime registrant of two copies of UltraEdit for Windows, I can get an initial upgrade discount, and better, there will be a lifetime licensing option for the Linux version, or you can opt for an annual subscription model. The catch is that users must purchase a separate license for UEX. Although the screenshot shows Ubuntu, an .rpm file will be offered for RedHat/Fedora and openSUSE users.

What is not mentioned in the announcement but is “IN” the commercial release is substantial… Full Font control, spelling checker with Spell as you type, Web tools/toolbar, Word Wrap, and so on and on… This is not an ordinary initial offering since UEX takes all of it DNA from its Windows counterpart. As the application seasons, and we make our planned point releases through the year and beyond, UEX will come to be practically
identical in features of its Windows counterpart, and on some cases, exceed UltraEdit’s present capabilities.

Linux users' current built-in editors are modular, allowing for virtually any plugin, and if you really need more, then Vi and Emacs are for the true edit-fu masters. Just viewing readers’ comments suggest over and over what users want most is consistent licensing among platforms. But more important is that UEX could really be a leader for more Windows shareware to go cross-platform and still make a profit. For IDM’s founder, Ian Mead, the key is listening to customers. If he keeps doing that, his whole IDM franchise will see success as far as the eye can see.

mitzevo:
Wtf? UltraEdit has been out for how long now? I don't think Linux users will even give a toss and stick to the many awesome nix editors like vi/vim/nano/blah/blah/blah :D

Josh:
I was thinking the same thing. There are so many freeware and superior editors on linux that I do not think a serious user would even consider ultraedit. Plus, from what I hear and have experienced with a buddy of mine, getting a new key from this company everytime a major version is released is a pain if you are a lifetime user.

mrainey:
getting a new key from this company everytime a major version is released is a pain if you are a lifetime user.
--- End quote ---

Roughly once a year, you have to request a key if you want to upgrade.  Not much of a big deal.

Zaine, why are you so excited about UEX if there are already a bunch of superior editors for Linux?

mwb1100:
There are so many freeware and superior editors on linux that I do not think a serious user would even consider ultraedit.-Josh (March 20, 2009, 08:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
I suspect that the market for this product is not Linux/Unix die-hards, but UltraEdit Windows users who migrate to Linux. Whether or not this market segment is large enough is apparently going to be tested.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version