topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Valve announces best PC gaming idea of the year (so far)  (Read 6120 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is pretty exciting news to me as a gamer.  It would be great if everyone could get on one bandwagon as far as this is concerned, but with the cow already out of the fence in regards to one site for downloading pc software, I doubt it.

Partial Excerpt:

We love it when companies just get it. Valve Software and its announcement of SteamCloud is a prime example. As reported by John Walker at Rock, Paper, Shotgun, SteamCloud will let anyone using Valve's Steam PC game download and networking service carry over saved game files, mouse, and keyboard configurations and other player-specific info regardless of where you log in. In other words, if you're at a friend's house and you want to jump into a game of Team Fortress 2 on his or her PC, all you need to do is log in to Steam and all your settings are there.

This is one reason I love MMOs.  Everything is in the cloud.  With some things, I'm sort of resistant to this idea, but not save game information.  I use my laptop for gaming when I'm not at my desk, and my desktop when I am.  Steam has already let me have my games on both platforms, but to also have my saves on both platforms?  That would be bonus!  Again Steam is playing catch up- Live already lets you do that; my Fallout 3 saves transfer seamlessly, even to the point that games that are done while you're logged off don't even register on your account!  But Steam has the momentum, so playing catch up while you have the speed behind you isnt a bad thing.  Also Valve has more goodwill from the developer community than Microsoft...

gexecuter

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Move over and give us some room...
    • View Profile
    • Elite Freeware
    • Donate to Member
Re: Valve announces best PC gaming idea of the year (so far)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:35 AM »
No offense but this article is from may of last year, Steam cloud sounds pretty cool however you can expect a long wait before it arrives.
Mouser is made of win and awesome!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 10:36 AM »
Well, from may of last year, but it hadn't been discussed here, and Mouser's earlier article was the only thing that clued me into it...  Thought it was worthy of discussion at least, and that perhaps someone else hadn't seen it.

gexecuter

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Move over and give us some room...
    • View Profile
    • Elite Freeware
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 10:56 AM »
Well, from may of last year, but it hadn't been discussed here, and Mouser's earlier article was the only thing that clued me into it...  Thought it was worthy of discussion at least, and that perhaps someone else hadn't seen it.

Sorry if i sounded bitchy to you. Steam cloud is worthy of discussion however there isn't much that we can discuss right now. Apparently Left 4 dead uses some form of steam cloud since it appear that it uploads your settings across several PCs. having your saves and other stuff uploaded online for safe keeping sounds pretty cool so i eagerly await Steam cloud arrival. Oh and i didn't know that GFW did sometging similiar so thanks for letting me know.
Mouser is made of win and awesome!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 04:25 AM »
So much for the Steam Cloud. I can't even get any of my Source engine games to remember settings between them. They all default to a lower resolution and low mouse sensitivity. Is it that hard for any new Source game I install to grab the settings from Half-Life 2 or something since most of the engine is shared data anyway?

Steam Cloud sounds cool, but if they can't even get local settings to communicate, I expect it will be much longer before they get the Cloud thing going.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 05:22 AM »
Remember, don't store all of your eggs in the clouds..
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.