ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Recommend a good freeware spam filter for Outlook 2007?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Unfortunately there used to be a very good Outlook plugin (called Outclass) that managed POPfile within Outlook from a simple tool bar. It is a shame but Outclass hasn't been developed for years.

You can use POPfile within Outlook by setting up a folder that points to the POPfile interface - then a single click brings up the management page within Outlook. Details are listed on the POPfile FAQs page.

superboyac:
I went with SpamBayes for the time being because it was simpler.  Also, on the website, its says that popfile doesn't work with Exchange.

Carol Haynes:
May be true - I have never used exchange.

CWuestefeld:
I went with SpamBayes for the time being because it was simpler.  Also, on the website, its says that popfile doesn't work with Exchange.
-superboyac (March 17, 2009, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

That is true. POPFile is a POP3 proxy (and, I think more recently, an IMAP and NNTP proxy). Exchange stuff doesn't come through those interfaces, so POPFile doesn't even know those messages exist. The 3rd party plugin, Outclass, used to hack around this by grabbing incoming messages and forcing POPFile to rank the stored message. But as was noted, it hasn't been developed in ages, and I wasn't able to make it work in Outlook 2007.

yogi22:
> I used SpamBayes in the past but the best spam filter I've ever used
> is Gmail.

> Vote 2 for Google Mail. Just make sure you check your spam folder
> regularly.

Vote 3 for Gmail.

It is easy to configur Gmail to pick up mail from your regular account.
It is easy to configure your email client to pick up mail from Gmail.
If you specify "leave mail on server", you have an easily searchable, automatic backup to all your messages.
Gmail spam filter is excellent. Spam getting thru' is rare, and false positives even rarer.
Spam is kept for 30 days. Plenty of time for the sender of a false positive to harass you about your lack of action.
No training required!
Free!
kk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version