topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Which do you prefer, or Use?

AveDesk
DesktopX
Rainmeter
Samurize
Systemetrix
Other
Don't have opinion

Author Topic: Customizable Computer Monitoring Software  (Read 4875 times)

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Customizable Computer Monitoring Software
« on: March 15, 2009, 04:41 PM »
Hello Folks

With the advent of so many of these types of software, and the abandonment of several as well, also with the apparent re-interest in Rainmeter. I have opted to start this poll to find out where you folks stand in regards to these types of software.

If you use one or more, then great, how about listing a why and how it works for your, as well as the customization package(s) you use.
if you use one that I have not listed tell us about it.

I am a supporter of Rainmeter, but I am open to suggestions.

Tell us your thoughts, ring in on this one, as I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

I use Rainmeter 0.14.1
Config packs:
HUD Vision
4JL
Dreamline
Enigma
Quicklook

I also use the Rainbar (which is also Rainmeter)

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Customizable Computer Monitoring Software
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 06:45 PM »
I thought Samurize was the "way to go"... what happened in the interim?

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 07:23 PM »
And it still is, for now

I got hit with one very important fact, make that 2.

With Samurize you are limited to one config at a time. What ever custom design you make will be limited to the board that is created. If this works for you, then great. I prefer Rainmeters ability to make and place multiple configs anywhere I want on my screen.

The second thing I found is that Rainmeter can use significantly less Processes than Samurize. Something about the new Samurize can take up 42% of the processor, when you utilize remote software controllers, under Rainmeter, I am using far less than 10% even with the Winamp controller, Which uses the most processes.

Now I will grant that Samurize is more stable, but it's current stability does not make up for the other facts in my opinion.
I want to say there is an issue with the last update(s). Samurize is becoming a bloated piece of software.

There is now also the fact that there is movement on Rainmeter. Understand as of the post that you reference, the production of Rainmeter was in question. I have had a chance to communicate with Rainy and the folks that have Volunteered to advance Rainmeter, and I think it will be going again, based on all this, I have changed my recommendations, and am hoping that Rainmeter will once again be on top.

Besides, I am looking for a program to kick Samusize in the shorts, just like I am hoping to one day find a free solution that will truly compete with ObjectDock+

Of Course this is all my opinion, but refer to image below (hopefully the shrinkage, did not mess with the quality of the image, very quick work):
Screenshot - 3_15_2009 , 6_13_48 PM_ver001.jpg
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 07:34 PM by sgtevmckay »

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 09:59 PM »
With Samurize you are limited to one config at a time. What ever custom design you make will be limited to the board that is created.

Wrong.

Something about the new Samurize can take up 42% of the processor, when you utilize remote software controllers.

Samurize requires a minimal amount of memory and cpu usage. First, get the bit about running multiple instances right, then you will notice how little processing power is used.

Samurize is becoming a bloated piece of software.

How do you define bloated software?

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 12:10 AM »
Anything over 3.5% for this type of software, on this type of computer, I consider bloated. Now understand that I am running 2 instances of Rainmeter and using nominally less than 5%. The very act of Samurize is somewhere from 3.7% to 7.8% in idle. Samurize at one point would sometimes hit less than 1%, but I have seen no evidence of this as of yet, in current builds.

Now if you will refer to the attached image:
I have 22 "free floating" configs that I can place anywhere I want.
I have seen  no evidence of being able to do this with Samurize.

What I have seen of Samurize skins, is that they are over customized sidebars. All items must be attached to that customized area. The various meters can not be made independently of each other, and must be based to a single running Config.

Now I am not saying that what you have listed here is incorrect, I am saying that I have seen no instance of being able to do anything like what I have on my laptop using Rainmeter.

Understand each meter is it's own config in Rainmeter, and although you can build customized area and place several measurement tools in it, you can also make independent meters.

Now understand I did not allow my meter to go completely idle, so look again and you will find all the meters, the Rainbar, Winamp, and it's Rainmeter controller, as well as a bloated version of Firefox, that has over 60 plugins, and it is set to reload this page.
And I am using about 10%
Also keep in mind that this is a none stripped down HP G50 series laptop

Do the math, and you will find Rainmeters footprint much smaller.

If you can run multiple meters independently and place a custom build where you want, similar to the HUD Vision I have customized here, I would very much like to see it.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 01:18 AM »
This is going nowhere... all I could say is that you are clearly ignorant about Samurize.

Anything over 3.5% for this type of software, on this type of computer, I consider bloated. Now understand that I am running 2 instances of Rainmeter and using nominally less than 5%. The very act of Samurize is somewhere from 3.7% to 7.8% in idle. Samurize at one point would sometimes hit less than 1%, but I have seen no evidence of this as of yet, in current builds.

So tell me where's the bloat...

2009-03-16_140529.jpg

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 02:29 AM »
True, this is not going anywhere, But all I am seeing here is a program run, but what You are running, how many processes, how often do they refresh, are you remote controlling any other programs?

I could pause Or close my configs and give the same number, besides, if your program is running, you are going to show something.

Are you trying to tell me that Samurize uses no resources at all?

I could pull the same thing from Process explorer.
How many meters and controllers are you running from Samurize and on what time cycle?

And you are absolutely right, I do not know much, but like the transmission on a car, I know enough to take the car to someone that does.
Using this analogy, does it not make sense to utilize a program that is easier to understand and intuitive?

So all I can assume is that the program is running no configs :huh:

Update here:
Below you will find a copy of the process explorer. You can clearly see that there are process running, as demonstrated by the desktop image in the prior post.
Now look closely you will see there are 2 Rainmeters running. One of these is Rainbar.
Again this is with 22 configs (19 meters, and 3 controllers) running, and I will note for you that this is also at peak cycle running a winamp remote.

When Idle, due to my update cycle, Rainmeters resource use combined is less than 1.4%

If Samurize is actually doing anything, it can not do it without utilizing resources.
Come on, this is Pre-101 computer stuff

At least there is something clearly running here:
Screenshot - 3_16_2009 , 1_38_28 AM_ver001.jpg

Actually the fact that you use Samurize is what I consider a good thing, it is not for me. I realy like Rainmeter, and I wish for it's revival.
I worked with Samurize for several hour, and it left me feeling confused and disoriented. With Rainmeter, I took to it like a fish to water.

This is what this poll is here for.
I placed my beliefs and findings to the public, in the hopes to find what others were using and why, and what configurations were available, I unfortunately found just one person who was not in the mood for debate, but was looking to out right disagreement, confrontational if you will; based on what?

If you feel Samurize is better, then show us, and tell us, debate with us, but do not argue a worthless point.
I want to learn, and I would hope that others do as well :Thmbsup:

I know that in many ways Samurize is superios, and for the average person, it will be great, but for folks like me, I want more, and apparently Rainmeter gave me that.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 02:58 AM by sgtevmckay »