topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Rainmeter may be on the move again. Can I ask for your Help?  (Read 7368 times)

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hello folks

I know that there are as about as many suggestions on different metering software, as there are users.

Of all that are available (Avdesk, Samurize, etc).
I use Rainmeter.

After trying numerous others, I just like the options and the programability of the software.

Rainmeter has almost died (in my opinion), but I still use it.

Well apparently Rainy has released Rainmeter to the general Public about a month ago and is looking for volunteer programmers.
More info From The Rainlenar Forum - Re:Development (Don't let Rainmeter die!)

I now use Windows Vista (almost exclusively), and would like to see this software grow.
The latest works to Rainmeter are now being run through Google Code (unfortunately)
the Rainmeter Google Code section can be found here.

There is finally a new Rainmeter Beta (Alpha?) download as well

Since I am no programmer, I am sorry to say that I feel very inadequate to take up the flag on this most excellent and proven software.

I am tossing this into our forum's hat to see if someone, or many, would take on updating Rainmeter to Vista OS compliance and then expanding the software, base.

Trust me when I say; "If you build it they will come", as there is a large community of skinners and customizers (like myself), just waiting for the really good folks with the programming brains to come along and help fix this slightly outdated software package.

The code is publicly available and can be downloaded from The Rainmeter old site

This is my plea, and I hope that there are those with the time to help make Rainmeter great again.

On a personal note I am looking to have Rainmeter kick the shorts of Samurize.

Thanks in advance
SGT. E. V. McKay

dragonmage

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Rainmeter may be on the move again. Can I ask for your Help?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 02:29 PM »
Well, it's definitely on the move now! :)

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 04:08 PM »
Apparently one of the other new Rainmeter Forum Administrators has tracked me down here:
He is ratting on me, because I am also (supposed to be) working on the CircleDock tutorial as well.

J.M. , you could have at least dropped the rest of the information to the folks here.  :P

I was going to wait and make an announcement her at DC, once there was a full version release.
Here is the post release that I have worked up for other sites.

Click below for the full release information:
Spoiler
Hello Folks

Very exciting news for us Raineers.

Rainmeter; once a leader in skinned custom systems monitoring, or as Rainy put it: “Rainmeter is a customizable resource meter that can display various performance data in different formats”, has been placed back into development.
Rainmeter not only has been customized over the years to get information from your system, it has been used to create control interfaces, obtain weather, and depending on how much information you want, yes it can tell you if it is raining. The customization and skinning capabilities are all but endless, and there has been more than one article in the past stating that Rainmeter has never been used to its full potential.
Rainy dropped development some time ago, but with the release of windows Vista and 7, a call went out!
Do to public outcry Rainy opted to place Rainmeter to the Google Code site. Rainy has gathered some volunteer developers, and for the last couple of months they have been programming a storm.

Along with the return of Rainmeter development, a new forum has just been erected in the last few days, and there are forums for help, requests for plug-in development, beta testing forums has been instituted (for those that would like to work with the latest release and post their findings), an area to show off your skins in the screenshots area, and so much more to be done, had, and discussed

To aid in this Rainy has also temporarily reposted the old forum in a read only format, so that new Raineers can access help and support that was offered before the drought began.

There are already constant updates in an alpha/beta, and the latest releases can be monitored and downloaded from the new code site. Latest code changes and update logs can also be monitored at the new code site as well.

We have added an IRC channel for folks to come and ask for help, gather, and discuss Rainmeter.

The forum and IRC is run by volunteers. Rainy is here and lending assistance, but this has become a community of Raineers, for Raineers, and by Raineers.

I call on all folks interested in Rainmeter to come. Come to the new forum, our new home, and help rebuild the Rainmeter community. Help others, get help as needed, and discuss development.
A call for coders has already gone out on a couple of projects, and your help may be needed.

I send this out as the formal invitation to the rebirth of Rainmeter.
Everyone is welcome.

It has been a long drought, but the Rainmeter storm is coming.

Links and information below.

For code site, current release (in 32 & 64 bit), latest release, and change log:
http://code.google.com/p/rainmeter/

The new forum:
http://www.rainmeter.co.cc

The old forum (read only):
http://www.rainlenda...nfo/oldforum/phpBB2/

Rainmeter IRC Channel:
irc://irc.freenode.net/rainmeter

Sincerest regards and hopes
SGT. E. V. McKay
Posted 04/07/2009

UPDATE (04/17/2009):

We have had some magic folks.
A former Raineer, and designer of the Wireless Plug-in, has come forward and offered to host the forum for free. As of this time we are Donation free for the forum. NiteShdw has been gracious and willing and is very excited that he could help out in this manner.

We also have a new access/intro page.

Rainmeter, the Forums, the code site can now be at;
http://www.rainmeter.net

Regards folks
SGT E. V. McKay
Posted 04/17/2009

As one of the new site Administrators, and a Forum Moderator (among other things), I apologize to the DC community for not making this publication sooner. It was my intent to list this as a new product at the next stable release.
But do not hesitate, the Rainmeter community is in full swing, and all are welcome.

My sincerest apologies and regards to my fellow DC'ers

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 05:15 PM »
Congratulations on all the progress you guys have made  :up:

When you are ready, I think a nice thing to do might be to post a mini-review of Rainmeter and tell us all the things about it you like.

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 05:50 PM »
Thanks you sir

Absolutely on the review! I have started one, but I am waiting patiently and developing and adjusting an article for DC, as progress is made. I have no idea when the next stable release will be made, but you better believe DC will have me right there on top of it, and giving DC'ers the play by play.

Thanks for the Congrats, it has been fun, exciting, and full of anxiety, but I have no complaints. Just look at what we have done in less that 30 days, and we are not done yet!
I feel greatly accomplished.
Not bad for a guy a couple of weeks outside of knee surgery and delirious on painkillers, a guy part time out of New Zealand, and a South Carolina fanatic. The forum is growing daily and the response and input is excellent. I can tell that "Raineers" have needed a home for some time.

As a note for you folks here though; there is an untested release about once every few weeks, and you are all welcome to come and try it out, we even have a Beta Testers forum to help cover the latest releases. So far so good, but Rainmeter has a long way to go. It has been 3? 4? years in absenteeism, and the dev guys are catching up as fast as they can.

If any one has any questions, I am easy enough to find here, and at the new Rainmeter forum.

Thanks again

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 07:21 PM »
Never heard of this before. Must say it has made a very good first impression. Time to explore it more :)

dragonmage

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 07:54 PM »
That's  North Carolina, not South :P