topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: URLSnooper Runs but GUI Does Not Appear  (Read 8045 times)

Iggy64

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
URLSnooper Runs but GUI Does Not Appear
« on: March 15, 2009, 01:07 PM »
Hello.  I am a brand-new user of URLSnooper, which I downloaded recently.  After I downloaded it, I ran it to see if it would function, which it did wonderfully.  Today, I thought I'd give it a real shakedown, to see what it can and cannot do.  When I clicked its icon, the program did not open up (or so I thought).  I tried this several times, and still no show.  Then I looked in Windows process explorer to see what was running.  I found several instances of URLSnooper running, each one taking about 43M of virtual memory.  So the program is opening, but it's not giving me a GUI to work with.

Checking the forum, I learned that I will need a license key for this program.  So I thought maybe that was the problem.  I registered and obtained a key.  Now comes the Catch 22.  I don't seem to have any way to enter the key, because I can't get the URLSnooper GUI to open.  (The key has to be entered through the "About" menu in the GUI.)  So I seem to be stuck.

Can you advise me on how to solve this?  Will I need to uninstall and re-install in order to get the GUI back?  What's the best way to proceed?

Thanks!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: URLSnooper Runs but GUI Does Not Appear
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 01:13 PM »
ok first thing is the problem has nothing to do with license key.
can you try killing all running copies that you can see from your windows process explorer, and then once you are sure none are running, restart it.

see if that fixes your problem.

if not, again make sure you kill all existing copies that are running, and then delete the Settings.ini file and restart.
it's possible that the problem is that it's simply off screen, which could happen if you've change the # monitors you have connected, etc.

Iggy64

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 01:28 PM »
Thanks for responding, Mouser.

Yes, I had repeatedly killed all running instances of URLSnooper and restarted, but still no GUI.

I took your advice and deleted the ini file, but that did not change the behavior.  Same result.  When I try to open URLSnooper, it starts the process running in the background, but no GUI appears.  And, I noticed, no new ini file is created.

So now maybe I'll need to reinstall?

Thanks, again.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 01:37 PM »
something seems wrong for sure but i dont know what.. deleting the settings file should fix any problem with bad settings.
but try deleting the entire directory and then reinstalling, can't hurt to try.

Iggy64

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 02:18 PM »
Thanks, again, Mouser.

I did an uninstall, then a fresh install.  GUI came up just fine.  I plugged in the license key, and things are running fine.  Hopefully, it will do so on the second and third tries, and so on.

This was a weird one, and we'll probably never know why the GUI disappeared.  But it doesn't really matter (unless it keeps happening).

Thanks again, for the quick response. 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 02:24 PM »
it may have to do with the language translations. if you encounter the problem again let me know ([email protected])