topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Has anyone had experience buying from www.buy.com ? Is it reliable ?  (Read 15929 times)

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I'm thinking of buying a software package from www.buy.com ?

It is a boxed version and thus cannot be downloaded.

The price on it is significantly lower than elsewhere as there's a promotion on it.

I was just wondering if www.buy.com is a reliable vendor as I have never bought from it before ?

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Resellerratings for Buy.com

Click here

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've bought from buy.com, but it's been a while - at least more than a year (my tech purchases are usually from newegg now).  I never had a problem.

A quick look at the reseller ratings link posted by Cloq makes me think they may have gone a bit downhill over the years.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 01:15 AM by mwb1100 »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I once bought stuff from Buy.com and  during one of the transactions there was a hidden membership payment which we had paid over a year without knowing it. Probably what happened is that they embedded one of these memberships during payment and made it very unobvious. Since then I have never bought anything from them.

I would say be careful with them. It looks like their ratings are hitting bottom at the moment.

In my opinion the best online experience shopping experience is provided by Amazon. I have been buying stuff from them for quite sometime and never ever had any problem with them. Also the reurn process is really easy and painless.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 02:56 AM by kartal »

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have bought from buy.com many times without any problems. You have to be careful, on the checkout pages they sometimes have offers you can signup for, but I don't think any are selected by default.

They do have good prices from time to time and good shipping.

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
I've never had a problem, been buying from them off and on for seven or eight years.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've made only one purchase from buy.com, and that was a while ago.  I had no problem with it.  Like kartal, I've had the best (and most extensive) experience with amazon.com in terms of price, quickness of shipment (even the free shipment), reliability, and ease of returns.  I've also had good experience with the dealers amazon lists on its site.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That was not the experience I and some others who complained about on reseller ratings website. I think they deliberately enabled the hidden membership which cost me over 80$ over a year(though I cannot remember exactly it has been over 5 years). Why would I have subscribed to a golf club membership while I truely hate golf or similar sports.

You have to be careful, on the checkout pages they sometimes have offers you can signup for, but I don't think any are selected by default.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've never had a problem with Buy.com, and I've bought several things from them.  I've never purchased software from them, but video cards, bags, flash memory, and other things.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
I purchased from Buy.com 1 time only.  We purchased an LCD HDTV with a promised $150 rebate.  They never honored the rebate, and it has been about 3 years.  They stated the the company who offered the rebate went out of business, which was not the case.  They also stated that they were pursuing legal action, again, not the case.  No rebate for hundreds of folks who bought the same television.

They are among the lowest of the low as you will see if you Google them, seeing the shear number of complaints and rip offs.  In my opinion, do not order from them.

http://www.ripoffrep...0&submit2=Search!

Here is a case similar to mine, I had except mine was 1 year earlier(2006).  Same TV and company that did not go out of business:
http://www.ripoffrep...53/RipOff0253092.htm

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any Alternate to Buy.com?

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
Any Alternate to Buy.com?

There are dozens.

In my experience, Amazon is reliable, fast, and generally inexpensive.  It's often possible to get free shipping.  I've placed hundreds of orders with them and had zero problems.

Having said that, there are bound to be people out there who dislike Amazon.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
For tech purchases, I've had the best luck with Newegg ( www.newegg.com ) CDW ( www.cdw.com) and Amazon.

I haven't ordered from Buy.com in about 2 years. I never experienced any problems with them, but that was 2 years ago.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
Tigerdirect.com, Newegg.com, Amazon.com, PCMicro.com

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
patteo: I would advise to stay away from buy.com. The few times I have landed at their site for purchase, the experience was awful. Stock indicators that didn't represent real levels, inability to provide an estimated ship or new shipment arrival date, poor customer service which results in unanswered phone calls or sitting on hold for 30 minutes or waiting 4 days for an email response.

Stay away. What type of purchase are you looking for? I swear by amazon. As an Amazon Prime member, I order all of my stuff through them. That is how I got free shipping on a 140lb treadmill just recently

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for all the feedback.

Anyway, I took the plunge despite some of the negative feedback because the price was really good.

But it turned out to be a non starter because they did not accept any order that did not originate from the U.S.A.

They must think it is only safe to accept orders from the U.S.A. even with a Citibank card.

Maybe, they were worried that payment will not come because of the financial crisis, but I doubt that was the issue because they stated clearly the "outside of U.S.A issue" in their email.

That does not happen for www.amazon.com.

In these rather tough times, how selective can one get.

In anycase, I went to www.ebay.com and bought it for even less.

OK. Now I have to wait for the Software CD to arrive (hopefully)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Now I have to wait for the Software CD to arrive (hopefully)

Thank you for your order. Here is an update on production status...
I have copied the CD.
My six-year-old child has finished crayoning the pictures.
As soon as I can get this box cut out and glued together your genuine original legitimate product will be on its way.

We hope you enjoy your copy of advance statis sticks.
By employing the methods outlined in the software we are able to tell you that:
1) We have fulfilled 100% of our orders.
2) Yours is the only order we received. 

Never forget, "to travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive". 

;)