topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Amazon Web Payment Service Added to payment page  (Read 10195 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Amazon Web Payment Service Added to payment page
« on: March 13, 2009, 05:45 PM »
I spent the better part of this afternoon adding Amazon Web Payments to the methods you can submit payments to the DC site.

My throat is sore from all the yelling and cursing I did at the computer screen.. It is a holy nightmare navigating the amazon.com web payment system website -- there are about 50 different logins for different aspects of different facets of their different payment services.. it's a total rats nest and one of the most convoluted and chaotic payment systems i have ever seen.  I had a hard time believing how badly organized it was.  That's being generous.  Really really horribly done.  For a company that got things so right with their normal site checkout, the developer side of things here is a total unmitigated failure.

Anyway..

It works, and it's up now.  I had to set a fixed amount for the amazon payment button and for the fundraiser i chose a large value ($50) but i put alternative buttons on the alternative payment page ($10, $25, $50, $100).  Maybe i'll lower the main button after the fundraiser.

It looks like the amazon web payment system makes payment really easy for users if they already have an amazon.com account, and it charges less of a fee than paypal, so that's all good.  If the payer doesn't have an amazon.com account however, it looks like it's going to make them set one up before letting the proceed to make a payment, which is pretty annoying.  In that respect paypal is still *much* better, as it lets people just fill in credit card info quickly for a one time payment.

Screenshot - 3_13_2009 , 7_27_56 PM_thumb.png
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 07:29 PM by mouser »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Amazon Web Payment Service Added to payment page
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 06:23 PM »
One more service you can add up is :

https://www.alertpay.com/index.aspx

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 06:25 PM »
I often get requests from people outside the US who can't use paypal.. there are 3 shareware payment services we support that i think should cover these people, but id be more interested in adding new payment services which specialize in international donors.

gexecuter

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Move over and give us some room...
    • View Profile
    • Elite Freeware
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 08:31 PM »
The only way to use Amazon Web Payments is trough a credit card right?
Mouser is made of win and awesome!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 08:34 PM »
From http://www.amazon.co...y_meth?nodeId=513058:

Amazon.com accepts American Express, Diners Club, Discover, JCB, MasterCard, Eurocard, Visa, Visa Check Cards, payment from your bank account, Amazon.com gift cards, Amazon Store Card, and Webcertificates.

bgd77

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 02:03 PM »
I often get requests from people outside the US who can't use paypal.. there are 3 shareware payment services we support that i think should cover these people, but id be more interested in adding new payment services which specialize in international donors.

So that's why I wasn't able to use Paypal.  :)

It looks like the amazon web payment system makes payment really easy for users if they already have an amazon.com account, and it charges less of a fee than paypal, so that's all good. 

This new method of payment is very useful. I had no problems with amazon until now and the fact that we can use it and it charges less than paypal makes all your effort worthwhile.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 04:01 PM »
Kagi and shareit services are not available here, but let's see that Plimus.

bgd77

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 02:27 AM »
For those that do want to donate using amazon, I used this service and I can tell you that it was ok. No problems, no hassles, you can try it with confidence.

It was hard for mouser to set it, but it is very easy for use to use it.  ;)

TheQwerty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 06:23 AM »
... and it charges less of a fee than paypal, so that's all good.
Is it possible to list the fees or an estimate on the Payment Method page, or does that break their TOS?

Without that knowledge I'd probably pick Paypal, but knowing you'd get more from the same amount if I used Amazon would immediately change my mind.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 06:59 AM »
"Simple Pay" fees:
https://payments.ama...ss?sn=paynow/pricing

For Transactions >= $10:
   * 2.9% + $0.30 for all transactions
For Transactions < $10:
   * 5.0% + $0.05 for all transactions

Volume Discounts
    * 2.5% + $0.30 for all transactions for monthly payment volume from $3k-$10k
    * 2.2% + $0.30 for all transactions for monthly payment volume from $10k - $100k
    * 1.9% + $0.30 for all transactions for monthly payment volume over $100k

By comparison, Paypal is typically: 2.9% + $0.30 USD (but has similar volume discounts).

So the fees from paypal and Amazon simple pay are almost identical, and significantly better than shareware payment methods.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:04 AM by mouser »