ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Bat: Great program, terrible documentation and support

<< < (17/21) > >>

Darwin:
Speaking for myself, I suspect that part of the reason many of us are no longer seduced by expensive, feature-rich e-mail clients (says he who uses Outlook!), is that e-mail seems to have SERIOUSLY declined in use over the past five or so years. The decline may well have started before then, but I don't receive or send anything near the volume of e-mail that I did in the past. This is a general trend, not just my experience, I *think*, non?

timns:
Speaking for myself, I suspect that part of the reason many of us are no longer seduced by expensive, feature-rich e-mail clients (says he who uses Outlook!), is that e-mail seems to have SERIOUSLY declined in use over the past five or so years. The decline may well have started before then, but I don't receive or send anything near the volume of e-mail that I did in the past. This is a general trend, not just my experience, I *think*, non?
-Darwin (March 09, 2011, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Non. In my case anyway. If anything I find that email is busier than ever. Then again, our company is getting busier, and I live away from most of my family and friends. Which is both  :down: and  :up: depending on one's mood  :D

Darwin:
Yeah, fair enough, timns. I'm out of the business/academic world now (underemployed since 2008) and should have specified "social" use of e-mail. The only people that seem to use it are those who are over 60 OR who started using it in the early 90's when it started to become mainstream. Kids use Facebook. I loathe Facebook... (we fear change).

J-Mac:
-Darwin (March 09, 2011, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I still use email quite a bit and I DID purchase an "expensive, feature-rich e-mail client" fairly recently: Postbox. I purchased their "lifetime license" which was offered for a limited time shortly after its release from beta. And already I have dumped it! And they dumped me as well!

Postbox is nice in some ways but also lacking in too many ways. Especially after Thunderbird 3 was released and included virtually all of the "extras" that Postbox originally touted that supposedly separated it from Thunderbird. Only a select few of Thunderbird's extensions work in Postbox, and a few of those even have problems. The Postbox developers - who were actually the original Thunderbird developers - still carry with them the same disdain for extension authors that they did while at Thunderbird. They stress that they do NOT support extensions and that you use even the ones that they list on their site at your own risk. They pointedly do not let any of the extension developers know what changes they are making in Postbox until they are made. Then it's up to the ext. authors to catch up. With TB3 at about the same level feature-wise there isn't much difference at all between the two clients. Postbox developers bragged about their more advanced search features but then TB3 came out with the same search engine. (Both, BTW, fail quite often at simple text searches within the body of the messages.)

They changed their forum software to one which they control tightly. The developers rarely respond to any significant questions or suggestions in the forum, and woe to the users who post about issues there that they would rather not address. After I posted some concerns I felt were too important to gloss over they wrote and told me that it was apparent that I didn't like their software  issued me a refund of my purchase price and told me that I was welcome to continue using Postbox with my "lifetime license" intact.... but they removed my login access to there forum and removed most of my posts that they didn't want there. Email said:

"You can use Postbox in perpetuity, for free. We do ask, however, that you refrain from participating in our forums moving forward.  It's obviously not working out for you, and we cannot afford to spend much more time on the matter."

Cool - Never got kicked out of an entire software before!

Fortunately I only use my email client for my IMAP accounts. The one POP account from my ISP is auto-forwarded to an IMAP account so all my messages are contained in the two IMAP accts, which are both archived by MailStore.

Jim

timns:
Yeah, fair enough, timns. I'm out of the business/academic world now (underemployed since 2008) and should have specified "social" use of e-mail. The only people that seem to use it are those who are over 60 OR who started using it in the early 90's when it started to become mainstream. Kids use Facebook. I loathe Facebook... (we fear change).
-Darwin (March 09, 2011, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ahhhh - in that aspect, I am certain you are right. And also loathe Facebook!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version