ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Bat: Great program, terrible documentation and support

<< < (5/21) > >>

J-Mac:
Usenet can actually be a terrific support method if it is used properly and well-covered by the developer. Of course that goes for regular software forums also. As for having to search for information on Usenet I have Agent Forte (though admittedly it is not currently installed - though I do have a current license). Agent is built specifically for Usenet groups - and nothing else. It has a built-in email program too but I never used it much. But for searching, building watches, filters, and marking posts for later reference, it is the best available. And with it Usenet can be pretty decent.   :)

Jim

superboyac:
Usenet can actually be a terrific support method if it is used properly and well-covered by the developer. Of course that goes for regular software forums also. As for having to search for information on Usenet I have Agent Forte (though admittedly it is not currently installed - though I do have a current license). Agent is built specifically for Usenet groups - and nothing else. It has a built-in email program too but I never used it much. But for searching, building watches, filters, and marking posts for later reference, it is the best available. And with it Usenet can be pretty decent.   :)

Jim
-J-Mac (January 30, 2011, 11:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
yeah, back before forums became mainstream, I used Forte Agent a lot.  it was great for that.  But now, it doesn't make sense with all the conveniences available with regular forums.  Just look at this forum here, it's amazing...the way you can present content, search, and the interface is just amazing.  people come here and they don't have any frustrations mechanically, which is not the case in other forums.  newsgroups are horrible compared to forums.  I'm not saying they are bad in every way, but once you've tasted the forums, it's hard to go back to that.

J-Mac:
......But now, it doesn't make sense with all the conveniences available with regular forums. 
-superboyac (January 30, 2011, 11:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unless, that is, the software you use and love is using Usenet only for their main support vehicle. Then it makes sense by necessity!

Jim

superboyac:
......But now, it doesn't make sense with all the conveniences available with regular forums.
-superboyac (January 30, 2011, 11:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unless, that is, the software you use and love is using Usenet only for their main support vehicle. Then it makes sense by necessity!

Jim
-J-Mac (January 31, 2011, 12:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, if the question is "how do I get support for the Bat?", then yes, you are correct.

Now, if the question is "How do we set up a support system where more than 5% of our userbase will want to use it...ever?"  Then the answer is definitely not usenet.  To me, it's clear that the Bat developers have no real intention to help their users figure out the program.  You don't go this long without a user manual if you did.  Same with the forums and all that.  Now, they have this trouble ticket support system, which is ok, but the problem there is that other users can search the questions and solutions that have gone through there.  But at least they have solved all of my few issues with that system.  But if they just had a forum, it would be soooo much better.  or a manual!  Give us something!

superboyac:
OK, I found another forum:
http://www.batboard.net/index.php?page=Portal

It actually looks like a good, active forum.  Problem?  it's not english!  Son of a !@#. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version