ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Force Firefox?

<< < (2/3) > >>

bgd77:
Does this work for you?

"1. Click the Start menu
2. Click Default Programs
3. Click “Set program access and computer defaults” (or go to Control Panel and select Add/Remove Programs, then click on "Set Program Access and Defaults")
4. Select Custom then click on the drop arrow
5. Look for “Choose a default web browser” and select Mozilla Firefox
6. Click OK "

It worked for me (problems with Yahoo Messenger). I took it from: http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?comments_parentId=102005&forumId=1

siouxdax:
Does this work for you?

"1. Click the Start menu
2. Click Default Programs
3. Click “Set program access and computer defaults” (or go to Control Panel and select Add/Remove Programs, then click on "Set Program Access and Defaults")
4. Select Custom then click on the drop arrow
5. Look for “Choose a default web browser” and select Mozilla Firefox
6. Click OK "

It worked for me (problems with Yahoo Messenger). I took it from: http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?comments_parentId=102005&forumId=1
-bgd77 (March 13, 2009, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, that was one of the first things I double-checked, but still some programs wind up opening IE anyhow. I would use BrowserTraySwitch, but I already have more than enough apps running in the background. I must say that this only happens on occasion, not frequent enough to merit a background task. But boy, oh boy do I get ticked off when IE opens. But as f0dder suggested, finding an app that would open Firefox in place of iexplore.exe would be great. I wonder if I replaced iexplore.exe with a text file with the same name, might possibly work?

lanux128:
BrowserTraySwitch doesn't have to be running in the background all the time. it can also be used a 'switch-n-quit' app. :)

btw, what version of IE is on your computer and are there other IE-based browser like Maxthon, etc?

lanux128:
Here's the details from help file:

Non-resident Non-tray Use

If you want to use the program as a non-resident non-tray based tool, invoke with -switch or -launch to show a menu and exit immediately.

mouser:
browser tray switch is not going to help you if setting the default browser the normal way isnt helping you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version