ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Force Firefox?

(1/3) > >>

siouxdax:
Hello, Gods of DC:
Every so often, but more and more lately, I click on a link in an email or in the 'help' section of an application that opens up in Internet Explorer. This drives me mad! Is there a way to force any/all of these links to open in Firefox? In my default settings (in Windows XP) I have Firefox selected as the default web browser, but sometimes it just won't behave as such. So is there a way to really ensure these things open in Firefox? What I have been doing is copying the URL when it pops up in IE, immediately close IE, and paste the URL into Firefox.

So any thoughts/help/suggestions? As always, input from you all is very much appreciated.

cthorpe:
As far as I recall, the help file viewer in Windows is using the IE engine, so Windows assumes that you are clicking a link in IE.  That means you're stuck there.

siouxdax:
As far as I recall, the help file viewer in Windows is using the IE engine, so Windows assumes that you are clicking a link in IE.  That means you're stuck there.
-cthorpe (March 13, 2009, 12:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

I should clarify, this happens not only in help files, but in links in emails also, though not always in emails. It seems to be random. I do have a Firefox add-on that opens IE in a Firefox tab. I hope this helps. Please forgive me for 'correcting' you in this matter.

f0dder:
Some software is badly written and hardcodes Internet Explorer assumptions - the correct thing to do is to file a bug report against the software vendor. The only solution that'd work (and would still fail to cover a few instances) would be overwriting iexplore.exe with a program that launches your default browser... but that'd be a hack at best.

lanux128:
if it is a problem with the default browser setting, you can try BrowserTraySwitch and set Firefox as the default again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version