topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Online Photo Album with Download Cart  (Read 3743 times)

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Online Photo Album with Download Cart
« on: March 23, 2009, 08:46 PM »
I am currently looking for a very specific online web based photo management solution. I have tried several systems, but I am unable to find one with the following specific features. Can someone suggest a possible solution (paid, free or open source)? If paid, I'd prefer a outright purchase of the program rather than a hosted solution that I have to pay annually for (e.g. Flickr, Shutterfly etc.)

1. PHP & mySQL Based, runs on Apache Web Server.

2. Supports importing of multiple folders of images in the database. The images might have been uploaded earlier by FTP, for example.

3. Supports automatic resizing of images into 2 different smaller sizes for web display. One will be a thumbnail image, while the other will be slightly bigger image, but still much smaller than the original image.

4. Access to the large image if the visitor wishes to download it. Preferrably, the large image should not be opened within the browser by default. Rather, when the visitor clicks "Download large version" a pop up should automatically prompt downloading to the user's hard drive.

*** Download cart system for users ***

Explanation - Consider the below scenario:

A user see an album page containing 50 thumbnails of the photos tagged with that album name. He is able to select a checkbox next to each thumbnail. There are 2 checkboxes under each thumbnail - one stating "Full Size Image" and the other "Web Optimized Image"

Then, he adds those images to a download cart by clicking on another button located at the bottom of the page.

In a similar fashion, he browses through several more albums on the site and select the images he wishes to download and then add them to the same download cart. Finally, he does a checkout of his download cart and is shown a page with links to zip files. Each zip file contains all the images that he wished to download from one particular album or tag name.

He can then probably use a download manager like DownloadThemAll to queue all the zip files for download.

6. Supports user accounts and album privacy based on type of user

7. Supports free tagging. Hence, each album is essentially a tag and each photo can belong to multiple albums or tags at once.

8. Photo Caption support - A short description of the photo can be entered by the administrator under each photo.

9. Video Support - Support for uploading videos. Videos don't need to be resized or processed, but should also support the Download Cart System.

Other less important features (not essential)

10. Commenting Support

11. Support for Themes

12. Support for adding geolocation tags to each image, for example through Google Maps.

In my current search, the closest solution I've found is ZenPhoto, but it does not seem to have support for features 5 and 9. In fact, none of the systems I've come across seem to support feature 5.

I normally use Drupal for building my normal web sites. Drupal has excellent support for tags and even has image annotation support, similar to Flickr and Facebook, whereby you can draw squares on certain areas of an image and type a specific caption. But, it has no way to import images from the FTP server as nodes automatically. It also has no support for feature 5 - Download Cart.

I am planning to try using Gallery next, but I've had limited past exposure to using it. Any suggestions?

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Online Photo Album with Download Cart
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 10:16 PM »
Hey
i saw this one other day it is a photo management app that can export-  create photo website. I have not tried it myself but might do what you want

http://www.antzero.c...g=en&m=0&p=0

AtomicView is a digital asset manager (DAM) available for Mac and Windows. It can handle a multitude of formats and this permits unlimited organization of your photos, images, videos and sounds.

New features in AtomicView 1.2:
1. New entirely customisable interface.
2. File conversion and transformation.
3. Multiple catalogues.
4. Keyword indexation.
5. Automatic directory updates.
6. Publish a custom web gallery.
7. Publish an online store with integrated sales tool.
8. New fast search system by imported format
9. Larger thumbnail images.
10. Database optimisation.
11. Stability correction and performance optimisation.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Online Photo Album with Download Cart
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 10:52 PM »
You should also find a shopping cart that is supported by banks/credit card companies for payments. I know that VirtueMart is supported by banks (more common in Europe than credit cards). It is also supported in most CMS systems (although the site only mentions Joomla! and is ideal for small payments and up (micro payments I'm not sure of).

Both VirtueMart and Joomla! are open source. A while ago I did some research on requirements for a webshop and then I found out that (in Holland/Netherlands) banks actually have support for this software. They even sell you code and technical support so the webshop can be open in the shortest amount of time possible.

VirtueMart is extensible with plugins for several banking systems.