ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

[Complete] Consolidate files in the parent folder

(1/3) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I have an odd problem that I need to solve and I am not sure how to solve it.

There may be a simple tool in Windows or a function in DOpus that can achieve this but I haven't found it.

I have a folder full of many subfolders (actually a number of these folder structures) and each subfolder contains files.

All the file names are unique and I would like to move all the files up a level into the parent folder and then delete all the empty subfolders. Like this:

Before:

Folder
SubFolder 1   ... SubFolder 2 .... etc
File1                 File 2              etc.

After:

Folder
File 1    Files 2  etc

I have tried using a command line but you can't use wild cards for folder names.

Anyone got any ideas?

Target:
you could try this...

--- ---fileselectfolder,MyFold,::{20d04fe0-3aea-1069-a2d8-08002b30309d}

loop, %myfold%\*.*,0,1
{
If a_loopfiledir <> %myfold%
filemove, %a_loopfilefullpath%,%myfold%
}

loop, %myfold%\*.*,2,1
fileremovedir, %a_loopfilefullpath%,1

exitapp

prompts for a folder, then moves all files from the subfolders to the root (files in subfolders are identified as having a different directory path than those in the root), then deletes all the subfolders

there are probably more elegant solutions, but this was quick - a brief tests indicates it works as advertised (though maybe best to test it for yourself...)

EDIT: simplified the code

Carol Haynes:
Thanks I will give it a try in the morning

mouser:
i'm, sure you've thought of this carol but one worry is what happens if different files with same name are located in different subdirectories.

Carol Haynes:
That wasn't the problem in the case - all the file names were unique.

Couldn't wait until morning - works great. Exactly what I needed in this case ;)

A few pennies winging there way and on Target  :-* :-* :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version