topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to *really* test if your HD has bad sectors or not...  (Read 10403 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Goes to show that not only can I be a complete moron at times, but I also put my computer through hell while doing so. This would be defined as the most idiotic, dangerous, insane way to check your disk for issues...

No bad sectors.pngHow to *really* test if your HD has bad sectors or not...

Window's disk cleanup notification bubble appeared and told me that I had "Low Disk Space on Drive C:" (this was after I noticed the decline from 1.04GB to 780MB to 180MB). As I type this post, it brought up a congratulation message telling me that I was able to recover enough space for Windows to not die:

Spoiler
[Window Title]
Disk Space Notification

[Main Instruction]
You have successfully resolved the low disk space condition. Your C:\ volume now has 160 MB of free space remaining.

[Content]
To free up additional disk space by deleting unused programs, open Programs and Features.

Open Change or remove a program

[OK]

I wouldn't recommend trying this on your own, unless you are a little on the crazy side (ex: me). :P

I now have 5.96GB free on C (good riddance Need for Speed Undercover!), and am going to continue installing my new game (seen in the screenshot). :Thmbsup:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to *really* test if your HD has bad sectors or not...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 03:34 AM »
sounds like you need a new hard-disk. :D

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 10:44 AM »
What does this have to do with bad sectors?
- carpe noctem

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 07:12 PM »
Yea, I need a couple hundred more gigs- even my external HD is filling up because of disk images...

What does this have to do with bad sectors?

If I am correct, a BSoD or some other major error would occur when a drive attempts to write to a bad sector or cluster. By filling the *entire* drive, there would be no possibility of a bad sector because an error would be thrown. Right? :read:

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 09:13 PM »
Here you can download some serious harddisk checking software. Seriously, I recommend MHDD. It comes on CD or floppy, boot from it, choose the drive you want to check and let it run. The possibilities of this program are very interesting, but possibly very destructive as well.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 03:59 AM »
Yes, writing to a bad section will trigger errors. You'll see messages like "delayed-write failure" and such... but just having your harddrive "fill up" doesn't mean each sector is actually written to, and it doesn't catch errors that could have appeared on areas that are used by "read-only" files.

But you really need a proper testing tool to do detailed and accurate diagnostics :)
- carpe noctem

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 06:35 AM »
I recommend either HDTune http://www.hdtune.com/ or DeRevitalize http://www.drevitalize.xwp.pl/
.merle1.

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 10:20 PM »
Using the tools/diagnostics by the maker of the specific HD should also be a good idea. For example:

Seagate Technology - SeaTools
Western Digital support- downloads

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 03:02 AM »
Here you can download some serious harddisk checking software. Seriously, I recommend MHDD. It comes on CD or floppy, boot from it, choose the drive you want to check and let it run. The possibilities of this program are very interesting, but possibly very destructive as well.

Shades, I followed the link and looked in the usual places, but can't find anything in English.
Is there anything written in English on that site? If so, can you post a link to it? Something is really wrong with my computer. Thanks  :)
-Sarah

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 11:59 AM »
That is the problem, the site (and software) is written by Russians and only the software is in English. My 'Russian' will be just as bad as yours, but I found out about this software from a blog.

I added two attachments, which are log files of my download software. In there should be the direct link to the files. Hopefully those files are still available. When that is not the case I can mail whichever one you prefer, as I don't think that a site like DC is allowed to host them. The first attachment is for the .ISO the second for an .EXE to be stored on a bootable DOS floppy.

MHDD is able to do a lot of things, check your hard-disk is just one of them. It is also possible to adjust the size, create bad sectors (?), hide/enable data, .BAT scripting and a lot of things more. But be warned, make an error and you are in serious trouble. By default the software is setup to check harddisks, only when you have manually changed something the software will do as you have ordered.

Personally, I have used the software only to check several harddisks here and no complaints about that functionality.  When I have a harddisk with a serious problem, I like to play with the other features of this software though  ;)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 06:00 AM »
Before using MHDD, which is rather technical, I recommend the Derevitalize demo software (try the "windows multi" option).  It runs under windows, in english !
.merle1.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 06:05 AM by MerleOne »