ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How to *really* test if your HD has bad sectors or not...

(1/3) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
Goes to show that not only can I be a complete moron at times, but I also put my computer through hell while doing so. This would be defined as the most idiotic, dangerous, insane way to check your disk for issues...

How to *really* test if your HD has bad sectors or not...

Window's disk cleanup notification bubble appeared and told me that I had "Low Disk Space on Drive C:" (this was after I noticed the decline from 1.04GB to 780MB to 180MB). As I type this post, it brought up a congratulation message telling me that I was able to recover enough space for Windows to not die:

Spoiler[Window Title]
Disk Space Notification

[Main Instruction]
You have successfully resolved the low disk space condition. Your C:\ volume now has 160 MB of free space remaining.

[Content]
To free up additional disk space by deleting unused programs, open Programs and Features.

Open Change or remove a program

[OK]

I wouldn't recommend trying this on your own, unless you are a little on the crazy side (ex: me). :P

I now have 5.96GB free on C (good riddance Need for Speed Undercover!), and am going to continue installing my new game (seen in the screenshot). :Thmbsup:

lanux128:
sounds like you need a new hard-disk. :D

f0dder:
What does this have to do with bad sectors?

wreckedcarzz:
Yea, I need a couple hundred more gigs- even my external HD is filling up because of disk images...

What does this have to do with bad sectors?
-f0dder (March 12, 2009, 10:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

If I am correct, a BSoD or some other major error would occur when a drive attempts to write to a bad sector or cluster. By filling the *entire* drive, there would be no possibility of a bad sector because an error would be thrown. Right? :read:

Shades:
Here you can download some serious harddisk checking software. Seriously, I recommend MHDD. It comes on CD or floppy, boot from it, choose the drive you want to check and let it run. The possibilities of this program are very interesting, but possibly very destructive as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version