ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

WinPatrol Plus on Bits Du Jour - Friday 2/13/09

<< < (2/2)

MilesAhead:
Hmmmmm the startup delay thing makes me think it might be a good idea to have a launcher that gives you a chance to kill all the startups like if you are installing software or trying to put on a service pack where the machine reboots 5 times.  Avoiding all the utilities coming up without having to drag a bunch of icons out of the startup folder.

Then again this is probably already a feature in a bunch of launchers.  But I could add it to rapper.  Just have a MsgBox that times out and if you don't make a choice before the time-out it defaults to either launch or don't launch all the start up stuff(maybe according to setting in a .ini file or something.)

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

I agree, Cyberdiva.  Very few programs get the warnings-rollback right, or the delaying, or the configuration, especially a "choose at startup" option (I'm not sure how WinPatrol does on configs). These are the basics of quality in this genre. Any many probably miss this or that in the arcane startup sections, the other basic. (And the bad guys will look for the arcane.) Oh, and developer support, basic #5 :). Oh, and the standard needs ... usability and interface and stability.  One note: WinPatrol seems to be the most HIPS/security conscious on any startup program.  Startup Organizer from Metaproducts was always very solid and strong for me in that realm, I am having a little problem right now with that in Chameleon and sent Evgeni a note. Win Patrol is probably #1 in security.

What is curious is that the firewalls have not really followed suit -- (if anyone knows a good firewall or HIPS program that incorporates full and strong startup protection, please indicate).  They have a lot of resources, yet seem to be not fully-dimensional.

Here is one question I am trying to check on the WinPatrol Bits Du Jour discount today.  There is a new WinPatrol coming out in a few days, WinPatrol 2009.  If there is going to be an upgrade fee then of course the discount today is much less of a great shakes.  Awaiting a callback, and I may post this on Iconico's Bits du Jour as well.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

cyberdiva:
Here is one question I am trying to check on the WinPatrol Bits Du Jour discount today.  There is a new WinPatrol coming out in a few days, WinPatrol 2009.  If there is going to be an upgrade fee then of course the discount today is much less of a great shakes.  Awaiting a callback, and I may post this on Iconico's Bits du Jour as well.
-Steven Avery (March 13, 2009, 09:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
I would be surprised, Steven, if there were a fee for the new version.  The developer's policy has always been that ALL new versions are free once you've paid for the PLUS version.  I know that that was true for me when WP 2008 came out.  I had bought the software several years earlier, but I was able to download and install 2008 at no cost, and I expect to be able to do so with 2009 as well.  I didn't get the software via a Bits du Jour discount, but I did get it at a somewhat smaller discount through Neat Net Tricks.  Their software panel had reviewed the program very enthusiastically, and that made me decide to buy it.  NNT offered a small discount, and I took advantage of it.  I've never been sorry!

mwb1100:
The developer's policy has always been that ALL new versions are free once you've paid for the PLUS version.-cyberdiva (March 13, 2009, 10:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is confirmed by a comment by the developer on BitsDuJour:

Yes, WinPatrol 2009 will be launched on Monday and is a free upgrade. That means if take advantage of the Bits discount today, it's still good for the new version and ever other future version. PLUS is a one time fee and not a subscription. -Bill Pytlovany (BillP Studios Developer)
--- End quote ---

Darwin:
Another aspect of WinPatrol Plus that I value highly is the support of its developer.  He will respond to emails very quickly, and his policy is that once you've bought WinPatrol Plus, ALL future updates/upgrades are free.   :Thmbsup
-cyberdiva (March 12, 2009, 02:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 Bill provides AWESOME support, WinPatrol is updated frequently, and it works really, really well. The all future updates/upgrades are the icing on the cake. Also, I've corresponded with Bill a few times about things I'd like to see introduced into the program and he's been very receptive and has taken the time to sound me out further about the improvements/features I've suggested.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version