topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Coding for system tray icon hide application.  (Read 9388 times)

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Coding for system tray icon hide application.
« on: April 27, 2005, 09:32 PM »
I thought of another one.  I want to prevent my daughter from logging into her account and shutting down the Kerio firewall.  (If it wasn't for her doubtful P2P software I wouldn't need a firewall).  I'd like to be able to hide the Kerio firewall in the system tray automatically on her account.  I've trawled the net and there are plenty of system tray managers but I can't find a simple one that will simply hide or reveal one or two icons.

Jeff (cross posting from another place on the forum).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 12:48 PM by mouser »

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Coding for system tray icon hide application.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 11:06 PM »
Regarding Kerio, the latest version (at least) lets you password protect its settings.  I wonder if the same feature also protects it from being shut down--have you checked?
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 12:37 PM »
there are also some tools that let you run another program as a system service, which may be able to hide the icon, though im not sure.

this is probably a very hard tool to just write in a few hours, and i suspect that programs to do this (hide, block from exit, and/or password protect) already exist.

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 09:30 PM »
Regarding Kerio, the latest version (at least) lets you password protect its settings.  I wonder if the same feature also protects it from being shut down--have you checked?

Dear Scott, I have the current free version of Kerio.  The password protection is only available in the paid version and having already bought Outpost through the forum I'm reluctant to part with any further firewall cash.

mouser, thanks for your advice.  I'll have a look around the net and see what I can find.

Regards,

Jeff

frogblast

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Coding for system tray icon hide application.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 09:55 AM »
Is your daughter sophisticated enough to edit Custom Notifications settings? If not, you could just set the Kerio tray icon to "Always hide" in her account. Or, if you're using Win XP Pro (not Home), you could hide the system tray completely in her account, using Group Policies. That would be a bit like using a rocket launcher to kill a fly, though. ;)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 10:07 AM by frogblast »

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Coding for system tray icon hide application.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 04:17 PM »
Yes I think she would get around custom notifications settings.  I have noticed though that as the firewall gives less "do I block/allow this notifications" she is less likely to turn it off. 

Jeff