ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Duplicate Finder 2009

<< < (6/8) > >>

Curt:
Bolide Audio Comparer ("now"?) states to listen to the music
- AND:

J-Mac:
Curt, are you using Audio Comparer?

Thanks!

Jim

Curt:
- yes, I am using Bolide's Audio Comparer, and I like it. I am however looking forward to compare (!) Audio Comparer with Audio Dedupe and Duplicate Finder 2009. I have all three but have not yet sat down and figured out which one may be the best. My *GUESS* is that "our" DP2009 will loose such battle - But time will show.

sajman99:
It's fortunate for us that others like Mindgems are also listening- the competition between Bolidesoft and Mindgems forces continued development of their softwares. If Bolidesoft now supports lossless audio and tag editing, then it's a very good bet Mindgems will incorporate those features soon. Looks like Bolidesoft's Audio Comparer was first released in January 2009 and Mindgems only recently had their first public release of Audio Dedupe, so I'm guessing Bolidesoft had a bit of a head start.

I realize I'm entirely too picky, but Bolidesoft's Audio Comparer has several little issues that annoy me.
(1) I know it's trial software, but do they have to start with the incessant "Do you want to buy now" on day one? Bolidesoft, let me test your software for several days before you begin pestering. Mindgems' Audio Dedupe has a much more low-key approach-- a demo with feature limitations.

(2) AFAIK I must store database files in Audio Comparer; in Mindgems' software you have a "no cache" option. Bolidesoft, I would like the choice.

(3) I would prefer to keep my database files somewhere other than My Documents; Bolidesoft allows me, but nonetheless an empty Audio Comparer folder resides in My Documents. I can delete it, but rest assured it returns upon relaunching the app. Likewise, Audio Comparer has no memory of where I last stored database files; the only location it remembers is My Documents. Therefore, every time I create another database I have to click around like I've never used the app before. Carpal Tunnel, anyone? ;)

(4) Whether it's Bolidesoft's Image Comparer or Audio Comparer, their software seems to suffer from short term memory loss regarding the user-selected similarity %. If my preference is for a 60% tolerance (ie. non-default value) in Audio Comparer, the software should remember it the next time I use the app. From my experience, it's hit or miss- sometimes Bolidesoft remembers but sometimes not.

(5) Bolidesoft's software protection scheme (Obsidium http://www.obsidium.de/show/home/en for Image Comparer and something? quite similar for Audio Comparer) resides in the registry and in my XP win.ini. Bolidesoft, stay the heck out of my win.ini file. I like to labor under the delusion I control my computer rather than it controlling me.

Yes, I know- picky, picky, picky. But darned if I don't feel better now. :D

J-Mac:
It's fortunate for us that others like Mindgems are also listening- the competition between Bolidesoft and Mindgems forces continued development of their softwares. If Bolidesoft now supports lossless audio and tag editing, then it's a very good bet Mindgems will incorporate those features soon. Looks like Bolidesoft's Audio Comparer was first released in January 2009 and Mindgems only recently had their first public release of Audio Dedupe, so I'm guessing Bolidesoft had a bit of a head start.

I realize I'm entirely too picky, but Bolidesoft's Audio Comparer has several little issues that annoy me.
(1) I know it's trial software, but do they have to start with the incessant "Do you want to buy now" on day one? Bolidesoft, let me test your software for several days before you begin pestering. Mindgems' Audio Dedupe has a much more low-key approach-- a demo with feature limitations.

(2) AFAIK I must store database files in Audio Comparer; in Mindgems' software you have a "no cache" option. Bolidesoft, I would like the choice.

(3) I would prefer to keep my database files somewhere other than My Documents; Bolidesoft allows me, but nonetheless an empty Audio Comparer folder resides in My Documents. I can delete it, but rest assured it returns upon relaunching the app. Likewise, Audio Comparer has no memory of where I last stored database files; the only location it remembers is My Documents. Therefore, every time I create another database I have to click around like I've never used the app before. Carpal Tunnel, anyone? ;)

(4) Whether it's Bolidesoft's Image Comparer or Audio Comparer, their software seems to suffer from short term memory loss regarding the user-selected similarity %. If my preference is for a 60% tolerance (ie. non-default value) in Audio Comparer, the software should remember it the next time I use the app. From my experience, it's hit or miss- sometimes Bolidesoft remembers but sometimes not.

(5) Bolidesoft's software protection scheme (Obsidium http://www.obsidium.de/show/home/en for Image Comparer and something? quite similar for Audio Comparer) resides in the registry and in my XP win.ini. Bolidesoft, stay the heck out of my win.ini file. I like to labor under the delusion I control my computer rather than it controlling me.

Yes, I know- picky, picky, picky. But darned if I don't feel better now. :D

-sajman99 (June 26, 2009, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think you are being overly picky at all. All that you mentioned are certainly valid annoyances.

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version