ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A free program that shows live the amount of traffic generated by each process

(1/3) > >>

bgd77:
Did ever happen to you to see that there is network traffic generated by your computer (in general something small and constant, for example 10 k) that is unusual and you have never seen before? You probably want to know what program/process/service generates that traffic and why it generates it. So, does anyone know a free program that displays the amount of traffic generated by each process?

f0dder:
Perhaps http://www.netlimiter.com/ ? Iirc it doesn't log the processes permanently though, it only shows while the apps are active.

bgd77:
Actually I think it has what I need: "NetLimiter 2 shows list of all applications communicating over network it's connections and transfer rates."

I'll test it tomorrow, anyhow, thanks a lot f0dder!

f0dder:
Actually I think it has what I need: "NetLimiter 2 shows list of all applications communicating over network it's connections and transfer rates."-bgd77 (March 11, 2009, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
I find that it's a useful enough tool, it's interesting seeing how much internet bandwidth I use - and the fact that it can differentiate between the LAN and the Internet zone is important, since there's many gigabytes going back and forth between my workstation and my fileserver :) (last month: 52gigs received, 16gig sent).

But again: you can only see the individual application traffic while it's happening (the apps are shown as long as they have active connections, though).

gorinw13:
one of the major benefits of the netlimiter is that if you are more than one person using one connection, and when you have to download large files continuously by several programs, you can limit the connection speed of your computer at that period in order not to prevent the other network users traffic. if you wish, you need not limit the whole computer speed -- only the software you choose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version